[governance] First Draft of Statement on US Commerce Department/GAC chair intervention

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Aug 18 17:43:21 EDT 2005

Hi,

The indication is that this is against the rules.  I wonder if you
could help me in this by pointing at the rules/clause that it
breaks.  Also if I understand correctly, and i admit i might not,
they are not specifically asking for the decision to be rescinded
just for time before negotiating the contract.  Now, i can see how
this might amount to the essentially the same thing, but not
necessarily.

While i understand the issue when seen from the perspective of undue
influence, I know that i generally value flexibilty, and was very
happy, e.g., when the ICANN Board and Verisign indicated willingness
to renegotiate elements of a signed contract.  and I know that I want
the board to be subject to a lot a review before they sign any contract.

In other words I do worry about sending a self-conflicting message:
we like it when you reconsider decisions aexcept for when we don't.

thanks
a.