[governance] Emergencyresolution on.xxx recall-and thedestruction of ICANN's integrity

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Aug 18 08:38:44 EDT 2005

Grande Milton, the basic problem is that this discussion has made clear
we do not have (yet, as I am an optimist :)) a consensus CS position on
the issue. Two basic views in my opinion:

- on the one hand, the ones (like me, hope I am not alone in this...)
who think the entire creation/delegation/redelegation process of
gTLDs/sTLDs is faulty, and we cannot just accept (as if there were an
international convention or something like it) that, once ICANN decides
on this, no one (governments or not) can ask for revision anymore, be it
.xxx or any other combination of letters.

- on the other, the ones who want to preserve at any cost ICANN from any
interference from governments (an illusion, as ICANN is legally and
historically dependent on you-know-who), even when governments (aware or
not that the mentioned ICANN process is faulty) feel affected by ICANN's
decisions, and taking into account that governments have different paces
and reaction times, and not always can rely on the GAC porthole.

[]s frats

--c.a.

Milton Mueller wrote:

>Raul --
>one more brief point
>
>Dr. Milton Mueller
>Syracuse University School of Information Studies
>http://www.digital-convergence.org
>http://www.internetgovernance.org

>I don't see any reason to submit a  CS position  if nothing has
>happened yet. The US Government, the GAC and the GAC chair, have the
>right to express their positions in any topic.
>
>And CS does not?
>Your position is obviously self-contradictory.
>We need to express our views about:
>* support for equal status of stakeholders in a multi-stakeholder
>system
>* need for fixed rules and no arbitrary interventions
>
>Surely you agree with that?

>.

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br