[governance] GAC reform

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Aug 18 06:47:33 EDT 2005

Wolfgang wrote:

>This case makes clear, that the GAC has a number of weaknesses. The GAC
>is an advisory body which works on the basis of consensus, but individual
>governments reserve always the right to express their own individual
>positions, as they did it for the first time during the Bucharest GAC
>meeting when the GAC discussed ICANN reform.

Izumi replied:

I am not too sure if the "weakness" above is all that bad.

Wolfgang replied:
You are right, the informality can be seen also as a strength which gives you more flexibility. We have the same discussion with the informal voluntary arrangements among the root server operators. While some argued, this is a weakness, other saw it as a strengths of the system. The challenge is to find the right balance between fomalized and informalized procedures.