[governance] GAC reform

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Thu Aug 18 06:27:22 EDT 2005

At 12:06 05/08/18 +0200, Wolfgang Kleinw臘hter wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>All the discussions around .xxx make clear, that the procedures for the
>interaction among governments with regard to Internet Governance and
>between governments and ICANN are not sufficient established.
>
>This case makes clear, that the GAC has a number of weaknesses. The GAC
>is an advisory body which works on the basis of consensus, but individual
>governments reserve always the right to express their own individual
>positions, as they did it for the first time during the Bucharest GAC
>meeting when the GAC discussed ICANN reform.

Thanks for the interesting observation, Wolfgang.

I am not too sure if the "weakness" above is all that bad.

>The GAC Communique is the only official GAC output, but it has no clear
>legal status. The process inside the GAC is more informal. The basic
>constitutional legal document of the GAC is called "The GAC Operating
>Principles", recently renewed in Mar del Plata in April 2005. The
>"Principles" are not a treaty, although so they look like. It is difficult
>to clarify the legal status of these "Principles". I would describe them
>as "soft law" (like a UN GA Resolution). Certainly, in theory the
>"Principles" could be transformed into something like a "constitution" for
>an intergovernmental treaty organisation, which would need a ratification
>by national parliaments. But I am sure, that the majority of GAC members
>have no interst to do this. BTW, in such a case there would be a need to
>clarify the "membership" section, which includes now also "distinct
>economies as recognised in international fora". Is Taiwan, certainly a
>"distinct economy" also "recognized in international fora"? And BTW, did
>somebody explore, what China thinks about .xxx? China is not a member of
>the GAC.

Just one thing as a fact:
What I understand is that China IS a member of the GAC,

(http://gac.icann.org/web/contact/reps/index.shtml)
but they have not been participatin in GAC meeting for the past
few years, due to their disagreement with the treatment of Taiwan at
GAC. It is a very difficult and sensitive issue in Asian (and world)politics
as you can imagine.

thanks,

izumi