[governance] Emergencyresolution on.xxx recall-and thedestructionof ICANN's integrity

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Wed Aug 17 23:07:27 EDT 2005

At 11:03 05/08/17 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Sorry, I forgot one "dirty detail" that is important:
>
>* The GAC letter does NOT come from GAC but is a personal letter from
>the GAC chairman.
>(This is significant because GAC's chair is well-known to be supported
>and close to the US, so a phone call from Commerce could have gotten
>that letter).

I quite disagree with the above characterization to GAC Chair, unless
you have solid facts, it is not productive to assert these subjective
observations into our analysis.

>  * The GAC Chairman's letter to ICANN is dated August 13, and
>obviously follows the US initiative.

He might be aware of the US letter, but he was also siting
"several other governments" and I am sure it is not only USG who
are not happy with .xxx, those who are normally not politically in
line with USG. Syria, for example, was quite angry at WSIS/WGIG
meeting, for example,

>  * The US letter was buried in the "Correspondence section of ICANN's
>web site.
>  * The GAC letter was put on the front page, providing a nice cover
>for the US initiative.
>These are the "dirty details" of ICANN politics. Do you think they are
>relevant? I do. The record indicates clearly that the recall of .xxx
>is driven entirely by US decisions and that the USG, GAC chair and ICANN
>mgmt colluded. You have no objection to that?

I don't think these are that "dirty" though I am not a strong defender
of ICANN staff....  again, your interpretation sounds too US centric.

thanks,

izumi