[governance] introduction to our contribution

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:51:03 EDT 2005

hi Adam,

On 8/15/05, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
<cut>

> [2.4.7 Global Governance of ICT and Communications]
>
> International "rules of the game" play an increasingly central role
> in the global information economy.  In recent years, governments have
> liberalised traditional international regulatory regimes for
> telecommunications, radio frequency spectrum, and satellite services,
> and have created new multilateral arrangements for international
> trade in services, intellectual property, "information security," and
> electronic commerce.

this is ok.

> At the same time, business groups have
> established a variety of "self-regulatory" arrangements concerning
> Internet identifiers (names and numbers), infrastructure, and content.

Too simplistic.

> It is not acceptable for these and related global governance
> frameworks to be designed by and for small groups of powerful
> governments and companies and then exported to the world as faits
> accomplis.

true, not acceptable.  However, the above description is well wide of the mark.

> Procedurally, decision-making processes must be based on such values
> as inclusive participation, transparency, and democratic
> accountability.

Go to the next AfriNIC/RIPE/APNIC/LACNIC/ARIN meeting, or subscribe to
any of their public policy lists. You will find all of the above in
place and working well.

> In particular, institutional reforms are needed to
> facilitate the full and effective participation of marginalized
> stakeholders like developing and transitional countries, global civil
> society organisations, small and medium-sized enterprises, and
> individual users.

no, what is needed is greater participation in existing mechanisms.

> Comments please, use it, yes or no?

no.

--
Cheers,