[governance] Fwd: CS STATEMENT V4: EU applauding etc

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Mon Aug 15 09:08:01 EDT 2005

hi

would like to point out an editing error with respect these paras in the V4
statement, should read:

52. We agree with the WGIG and others that,

- existing flexible, bottom up Internet governance efforts such as those
made by ICANN, are invaluable for the continued security and stability of
the Internet, and must be protected from political interference and

- existing Internet Governance mechanisms should be founded on a more solid
democratic, transparent and multistakeholder basis.

53.On that note, whilst we applaud the EU's 'initial comments' for:
- recognizing the critical significance of the Internet's founding design
principles, ", "including interoperability, openness and the end-to-end
principle" and for pledging the EU to support a multistakeholder process in
its continued participation in the WSIS process.

we regret however, that the EU makes no explicit reference to the role of
civil society.

karen