[governance] On CS I'net Gov. Caucus Response

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Sun Aug 14 13:33:15 EDT 2005

Rony:

The issue of article 19, and making sure it is referenced in as
strong a way as possible also came up during the WSIS Civil society
meetings we had here in Canada this past may. IFEX, RSF, PEN and
insisted on this. To address their concern we not only sited article
19, but spelled it out :

... Participants underlined the importance of the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights which outlines the rights of every
individual, and, in particular, Article 19: "Everyone has the right
to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to
hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive, and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless of
frontiers." ...

Source : http://www.unesco.ca/en/activity/culture/documents/
WSIS_CivilSocietyCommunique_june2005.pdf

As for the CS governance "response" document, we might also want to
spell out Art. 19 - but where is a good place to put it? I'll leave
that for you to suggest :)

regards

Robert

--