[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Sat Aug 13 09:41:15 EDT 2005

My comments are as follows:

Internet Stability, Security & Cybercrime:

- text as suggested is fine.

- An important issue to track and follow in the negotiations.
References to council of Europe convention on cybercrime likely to be
raised - would be good to have a position on how appropriate (or not)
it might be as a global convention on cybercrime.

Intellectual Property Rights:

- Would suggest that Robin Gross @ IP Justice take a look at this
section. I'm cc'ing her, as it would be good to have them comment on
the IPR language and suggest text.

- the mention of DMCA  is perhaps a bit too generic. Would suggest
changing the reference  to mention "anti-circumvention laws" - which
is what is indeed problematic.

Interconnection costs:

- VoIP and other new technologies are challenging the existing cost
recovery schemes in place by many governments to recup costs. I
suggest CS try to come up with language that would protect these new
technological developments. if not, we might find ourselves in
position that "Interconnection costs reform" bans the very tools we
like :)

Open Content:

- is there not also a reference to this in the WGIG report itself ?
(para 19, bullet point #3)
- Could creative commons not be mentioned?
- Could this section be strengthened? Perhaps with a reference to the
academic and research community :

possible text:
"... governments and intergovernmental agencies should make relevent
information, such as  whitepapers and other research studies,
available to the research and academic community as well as placed on
the internet at no cost. As well, govts and agencies should be
encouraged to adopt open and alternative licensing schemes (such as
creative commons) that support the diffusion of that knowledge'"

Para 29

- in regards to academic and technical communities: what position do
we want to take/develop? Do we want to say : 1. they are just part of
CS, 2. a special part of CS - with some sort of special role, or 3. a
very very special stake-holder that is separate from CS itself. I
would caution against the latter - as it could be used to fracture/
divide CS.

Regards

Robert