[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Sat Aug 13 05:44:50 EDT 2005

hi

> >  Specifically, the EU points to the importance of
> >upholding Internet first principles of openness, interoperability, and
> >the end-to-end principle, and I for one would hope CS would also speak
> >up, in favor of those basic principles.  So we can praise the EU for
> >identifying and supporting the principles, and pat the techies and
> >veteran netheads on the back at the same time.  And even the USG ; )
>
>This is a very good suggestion - waiting for your text!  Please see
>the note I'll send soon about the root zone, NTIA statement, etc.

the EU also, sadly, neglects to mention the role of CS in ongoing
deliberations - it specifically notes the role of the private sector in
ongoing developments re internet governance.. and not CS - i think we
should note this (and please recall jean louis fullsack's comments on this
in EUC and plenary)

quote:  "a) The importance of ICTs for the competitiveness of industry and
therefore encourages active involvement of the private sector in the
Internet governance discussions during the second phase of WSIS."

it does goes on to note MS involvement in implementation of tunis outcomes
- but that does not necessarily infer CS involvement in IG..

say: " a)     That the European Union will work towards a positive outcome
of the Internet Governance discussions in the WSIS framework. It will also
encourage the implementation of the Tunis results in a way that enables
multistakeholder involvement. In this context the European Union will take
into account the future development of the Internet, including
technological and usage aspects."

i raised this with a few EU delegates - a non commital response

karen