[governance] UPDATE: CS comments, edited initial response

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Aug 13 05:39:46 EDT 2005

Ian, Karen thanks for your comments and editing.

Might be easier for people to see where we are
suggesting the main changes if they are in email
and text, so they re copied below.  I will try to
send the redlined document separately (seems we
have a 200k limit on file size, which is
sensible.) I have sent text about the root, NTIA,
etc. separately, try to keep things focused.

We have used the initial response as the basis
for our comments.  Karen rearranged them so the
followed the order of the WGIG report.  Hope the
following is clear. New text is marked by [new]
... [end new].  I am not copying minor edits (one
or two words) unless they cause some significant
change.

* The WSIS Civil Society Internet Governance
Caucus expresses its strong support and
appreciation for the process and outcome of WGIG.
[new] We believe WGIG achieved the mandate set
for it by the WSIS Geneva Declaration of
Principles and Plan of Action. [end new]

* Definition of Internet governance. karen asked
if we should refer to history, ian tentatively
suggested adding [new] a fuller understanding of
the history of the Internet can reveal to us the
extent to which our understanding of what the
Internet is has changed over the last decade, and
we can expect that the future will bring with it
new challenges and new understandings. [end new]

* Issues in need of further development or absent from the report

We are concerned that some issues, which we
consider to be priority public policy issues
requiring immediate attention, are not included,
or are not addressed significantly/substantially
in the WGIG report. [new] We also note that two
issues, "Allocation of domain names" (para 21)
and "Intellectual property rights" (para 23), are
identified as important issues relevant to
Internet governance, but the report makes no
corresponding policy recommendation in Section V,
B. [end new]

* Adapting and implementing WSIS principles
within existing intergovernmental and
international organizations is an area that needs
urgent attention. [new] This should be a priority
issue for the proposed forum to consider. [end
new]

*c. Internet Stability, Security and Cybercrime¹

Governments should address privacy and security
jointly and transparently, in cooperation with
all stakeholders. Invasions of privacy must be
prevented, and where privacy is outweighed by
other societal claims there must be clear rules,
subject to independent judicial oversight,
setting forth the conditions under which it can
be violated. [new] We strongly support paragraphs
24, 25 and 81, 83 of the report: measures taken
in relation to the Internet on grounds of
security, stability or to fight crime must not
violate rights to freedom of expression or rights
expressed in Article 19 and Article 29. [end new]

* We appreciate the attempt to recognize the
roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders,
government, civil society, private sector in
internet governance processes. However, we are
concerned that the specific roles of the civil
society and the private sector in relation to
that of government are not fully defined,
allowing for ambiguous and/or different
interpretations. [new] WSIS Declaration of
Principles, para. 49 on which WGIG based its work
is flawed, as it fails to recognize the
multi-faceted nature of ICT policy making
processes and makes simplistic assignments of
responsibilities.  Consequently, paragraphs
30,31,32 read as a hastily compiled "shopping
list" of roles and responsibilities.[end new]

(Next is new text to argue why CS should be
involved ongoing, in the initial response we were
strongly advocated for an increased role of CS,
but only as a statement, no reasoning, so Karen
suggested following)

* [new] Policy development in relation to
internet governance specifically, and ICT policy
more generally, is becoming more and more the
realm of international and intergovernmental
spaces.

12. [original] The caucus acknowledges that
sovereign rights of governments should not be
compromised [end original] [new] and that in some
cases, national level policy-making is inclusive
of civil society and other stake-holders. In such
cases, it could be surmised that the interests of
civil society are advocated effectively through
government delegations, particularly where such
delegations include civil society and other
stakeholders.

However, we must acknowledge that truly effective
"bottom-up" national policy-making processes,
that include the meaningful participation of
civil society and other stake-holders is not
universal, and that international spaces are
often important avenues for national civil
society delegates to make their voices heard.

We strongly advocate for a mutually reinforcing
process of support for "bottom-up" national level
multi-stakeholder processes and an enabling
environment for meaningful participation by civil
society in public policy processes at regional
and international levels, given the expanded
diversity of stakeholders in this context. [end
new]

* Forum function

[new] The forum should be established on
condition that there is agreement on its scope,
structure, membership and modalities, and that
its activities are fully funded for an
appropriate period of time (example, 2 years.)
The caucus recommends that Sub-Committee A create
a multi-stakeholder working group to address
these and other issue regarding the forum
function. [end new]

[new]
  i. monitor governance mechanisms to ensure they
are open to and facilitate the participation of
developing nations and civil society.
j. assist and support organizations and other
entities dealing with Internet governance issues
to improve their coordination and exchange of
information.
k. provide a clearing house for coordination,
resource mobilization, identification of new
needs and gaps, in relation to supporting
meaningful developing country participation and
capacity building.
[end new]

* Oversight

[new] The caucus finds model one to be unworkable
and not in keeping with the inclusive processes
recommended throughout the WGIG report. Model two
is clearly the most workable, and is favored by
most civil society respondents, however, aspects
of other models, particularly the importance of a
host nation agreement, should be considered in a
final model. [end new]

Suggest creating a multi-stakeholder working
group under sub-committee A to look at
oversight/models.

(root etc separate)

* Conclusion

[new] We recommend that Sub-committee A establish
a multi-stakeholder working group to make
suggestions on scope, structure, membership,
modalities and funding models for the forum.[end
new]

[new] We recommend that Sub-committee A establish
a multi-stakeholder working group to make
suggestions on oversight. A majority of CS
respondents tend to favour Option 2, however
aspects of other models, particularly the
importance of a host nation agreement, should be
considered in a final model.[end new]

Thanks,

Adam