[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Aug 10 19:56:48 EDT 2005

On 10 aug 2005, at 17.10, Ian Peter wrote:

> * much pressure towards change will be removed if the issue of USG
> unilateral control of root zone authorisation is dealt with

I am personally not holding my breath on this one.  I have seen
little or no indication from the USG that they are going to give up
their unilateral control any time soon.  I certainly think it is
reasonable for CS to put some energy in its response supporting this
goal.

But it could happen.

> * much pressure towards change will be removed if IDNs are
> perceived to be
> dealt with a little bit better

This will take more then pressure, as there are both  policy issues
and technical issues in this.  And the technical issues look hard, at
least to me.  Also, I have not yet seen evidence that the IETF or any
other technical body is stepping up to the technical challenges in a
serious way.

a.