No subject

Thu Jan 13 08:49:26 EST 2022

rence in a couple of weeks. That might give us more information.

But it seems that this multistakeholder coalition without governments, whic=
h this list seems to be, may not always represent CS best interests, and ou=
r representation appears to be token in any case.

Current actions of this type could well see governments coalesce behind an =
ITU solution. This could be very embarrassing to the technical community gr=
oups.

Right now this seems to be a not well thought out muddle that might actuall=
y put the cause of sensible internet governance back rather than advance it=
 . I think we should contribute positively, but not be in a position where =
we are tied to the objectives and approaches of this coalition.

Ian Peter

From: Joana Varon=20
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 5:34 AM
To: mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net=20
Subject: [bestbits] [Follow up of the previous report] Summary I*coalition/=
dialogue debates

Dear all,=20

Hi.=20

While the debate about the process for using an open or closed BB list stil=
l remains, please, find below a summary about what has been going on in the=
 very closed list that was created after the Friday meeting with Fadi and I=
* representatives, which I have reported a few days ago. Carlos, Carolina a=
nd Laura, please, feel free to add other points. Also, there are others BB =
subscribers that are also in the coalition/dialogue list that may want to w=
eigh in.=20

I should remind you that Carlos Afonso and Laura Tresca and I went to that =
meeting as it was supposed to debate the Brazilian Summit. And since the me=
eting with the Brazilian government in the IGF, the three of us, plus Carol=
ina Rossini, were indicated as liaisons to help facilitate civil society pa=
rticipation in the event. Nevertheless, as you could read in the report, th=
at meeting took a different direction and was focused on building the "coal=
ition". So, in the near future, we should probably re-address the issue of =
representatives, and the possibility of broadening CS participation beyond =
Brazilians if we choose to continue to engage.=20

Summary

After the meeting, held on Oct, 25th, a closed mailing list (i-coordination=
@nro.net) has been created for the drafting the concept note and debating t=
he name of the coalition. Besides the four of us, it comprises the followin=
g organizations/companies: ICC, Oracle, verizon, cisco, cra, auda, internet=
nz (2), eurid, lacnic, apnic, afrinic (2), icann (2), arin (2), piuha, goog=
le, sidn, isoc.=20

1) First days of the list were taken by debates about the name and the diff=
erence of coalition and dialogue. As dialogue is less binding, the term "co=
alition" was dropped. Current proposed name is: 1net | An Open dialogue for=
 the Evolution of Internet Governance

2) More important: A draft of a concept note (attached) was sent by Adiel, =
from Afrinic. As it was sent in the same email about the name, people got m=
ostly focused in the name. The only comments received are marked in the att=
achment as well.

Carolina and I have raised the point that so far there are no government or=
 representatives involved in the coalition/dialogue to any extent. I've als=
o sent comments regarding the fact that the upcoming events were only event=
s from the technical communities and there is no language on human rights i=
n the text, just on business and innovation. No replies here received on th=
ese issues whatsoever, but the drafting is just starting and is open for ou=
r inputs.=20

3) Much more important: Nevertheless, things seams to move fast. Today a th=
read was initiated proposing to accelerate the creation of an interim steer=
ing committee (about 20 people, as far as I understood, the same as who wer=
e at the Friday meeting) which will then liaise with their respective "stak=
eholder" groups. Quoting the admin of the list, the reason was that the lis=
t is "receiving every day requests to add new people (specially from busine=
ss community)" and the proposal was to "create a clear demarcation between =
the large group of people ready to engage into the dialogue and a subset of=
 it that will facilitate and coordinate the whole process."=20

It seams the drafting group is escalating to a steering committee which rai=
ses questions about the composition of the group (until now there is no bal=
ance in terms of number of representatives from each stakeholder group). Th=
is proposal got 3 agreements and one point raised by oracle about represent=
ativeness.=20

In face of this, I think we have three fundamental questions:

>> Do we want to engage with the coalition/dialogue?=20

>> Could this initiative be perceived as a counter-weight to the Brazilian =
summit? ( There is no governments or international organizations in the con=
cept note. Carolina and I made that point a few days ago, but it was not he=
ard until now)

>> If we decide to engage, what do we want out of this process? How?

Hope it's useful and addresses some doubts that came up in our previous thr=
ead about the first report. Another report, about our the meeting with the =
Brazilian gov is coming soon.=20

If we engage with this we will have two tracks to interact with: a) one reg=
arding the Summit  and the exchange of ideas with the Brazilian government)=
 + the other trying to reach a common ground with the Dialogue. Sounds comp=
licated if we don't use our diversity in a kindly and comprehensive way.

all the best

joana

--=20
--=20

Joana Varon Ferraz
@joana_varon
PGP 0x016B8E73

------=_NextPart_000_05E1_01CED6CD.80A2B670

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Thank you Joana and all for your excellent reporting back on the meeti=
ngs=20
and =E2=80=9Cprogress=E2=80=9D.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Right now I think our position should be one of a =E2=80=9Cwatching br=
ief=E2=80=9D rather=20
than taking any particular leading role or total commitment to this particu=
lar=20
group.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>From memory Brazil said it would be giving more information about the=
=20
conference in a couple of weeks. That might give us more information.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>But it seems that this multistakeholder coalition without governments,=
=20
which this list seems to be, may not always represent CS best interests, an=
d our=20
representation appears to be token in any case.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Current actions of this type could well see governments coalesce behin=
d an=20
ITU solution. This could be very embarrassing to the technical community=20
groups.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Right now this seems to be a not well thought out muddle that might=20
actually put the cause of sensible internet governance back rather than adv=
ance=20
it . I think we should contribute positively, but not be in a position wher=
e we=20
are tied to the objectives and approaches of this coalition.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Ian Peter</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COL=
OR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; DISPLAY: inline">
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3 face=3DCalibri></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=3Djoana at varonferraz.=
com=20
href=3D"mailto:joana at varonferraz.com">Joana Varon</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, November 01, 2013 5:34 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dbestbits at lists.bestbits.net=20
href=3D"mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net">mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.=
net</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [bestbits] [Follow up of the previous report] Summary=
=20
I*coalition/dialogue debates</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COL=
OR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; DISPLAY: inline">
<DIV dir=3Dltr><BR>
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { dear
all, </STYLE>

<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">Dear all=
,=20
<BR></FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">Hi.=20
<BR></FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">While th=
e debate=20
about the process for using an open or closed BB list still remains, please=
,=20
find below a summary about what has been going on in the very closed list t=
hat=20
was created after the Friday meeting with Fadi and I* representatives, whic=
h I=20
have reported a few days ago. Carlos, Carolina and Laura, please, feel free=
 to=20
add other points. Also, there are others BB subscribers that are also in th=
e=20
coalition/dialogue list that may want to weigh in. </FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">I should r=
emind you=20
that Carlos Afonso and Laura Tresca and I went to that meeting as it was=20
supposed to debate the Brazilian Summit. And since the meeting with the=20
Brazilian government in the IGF, the three of us, plus Carolina Rossini, we=
re=20
indicated as liaisons to help facilitate civil society participation in the=
=20
event. Nevertheless, as you could read in the report, that meeting took a=20
different direction and was focused on building the "coalition". So, in the=
 near=20
future, we should probably re-address the issue of representatives<FONT=20
color=3D#000000>, and the possibility of broadening CS participation beyond=
=20
Brazilians if we choose to continue to engage.</FONT><FONT color=3D#ff0000>=
=20
</FONT></FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><FONT=20
face=3D"Arial, sans-serif"><B>Summary</B></FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">After the =
meeting,=20
held on Oct, 25</FONT><SUP><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">th</FONT></SUP>=
<FONT=20
face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">,</FONT><FONT color=3D#ff0000><FONT=20
face=3D"Arial, sans-serif"> </FONT></FONT><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">=
a closed=20
mailing list (<A href=3D"mailto:i-coordination at nro.net"=20
target=3D_blank>i-coordination at nro.net</A>) has been created for the drafti=
ng the=20
concept note and debating the name of the coalition. Besides the four of us=
, it=20
comprises the following organizations/companies: ICC, Oracle, verizon, cisc=
o,=20
cra, auda, internetnz (2), eurid, lacnic, apnic, afrinic (2), icann (2), ar=
in=20
(2), piuha, google, sidn, isoc. </FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">1) First=
 days of=20
the list were taken by debates about the name and the difference of coaliti=
on=20
and dialogue. As dialogue is less binding, the term "coalition" was dropped=
.=20
Current proposed name is: 1net | An Open dialogue for the Evolution of Inte=
rnet=20
Governance</FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">2) More=
=20
important: A draft of a concept note (attached) was sent by Adiel, from Afr=
inic.=20
As it was sent in the same email about the name, people got mostly focused =
in=20
the name. The only comments received are marked in the attachment as=20
well.</FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">Carolina=
 and I=20
have raised the point that so far there are no government or representative=
s=20
involve<FONT color=3D#000000>d in the coalition/dialogue to any extent. I'v=
e also=20
sent comments regarding the fact that the upcoming e</FONT>vents were only=
=20
events from the technical communities and there is no language on human rig=
hts=20
in the text, just on business and innovation. No replies here received on t=
hese=20
issues whatsoever, but the drafting is just starting and is open for our in=
puts.=20
</FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">3) Much =
more=20
important: Nevertheless, things seams to move fast. Today a thread was init=
iated=20
proposing to accelerate the creation of an interim steering committee=20
(about<FONT color=3D#000000> 20 people, as far as I understood, the same as=
 who=20
were at the Friday meeting) which will then liaise with their </FONT>respec=
tive=20
"stakeholder" groups. Quoting the admin of the list, the reason was that th=
e=20
list is "receiving every day requests to add new people (specially from bus=
iness=20
community)" and the proposal was to "create a clear demarcation between the=
=20
large group of people ready to engage into the dialogue and a subset of it =
that=20
will facilitate and coordinate the whole process." <BR><BR>It seams the dra=
fting=20
<FONT color=3D#000000>group</FONT> is escalating to a steering committee wh=
ich=20
raises questions about the composition of the group (until now there is no=
=20
balance in terms of number of representatives from each stakeholder group).=
 This=20
proposal got 3 agreements and one point raised by oracle about=20
representativeness. </FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0.2in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">In face =
of this,=20
I think we have three fundamental questions:</FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">>> D=
o we want=20
to engage wi<FONT color=3D#000000>th the coalition/dialogue? </FONT></FONT>=
</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">>> C=
ould this=20
initiative be perceived as a counter-weight to the Brazilian summit? ( Ther=
e is=20
no governments or international organizations in the concept note. Carolina=
 and=20
I made that point a few days ago, but it was not heard until now)</FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><FONT face=3D"Arial, sans-serif">>> I=
f we=20
decide to engage, what do we want out of this process? How?</FONT></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">Hope it's useful and addresses some doubts =
that=20
came up in our previous thread about the first report. Another report, abou=
t our=20
the meeting with the Brazilian gov is coming soon. <BR></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">If we engage with this we will have two tra=
cks to=20
interact with: a) one regarding the Summit  and the exchange of ideas =
with=20
the Brazilian government) + the other trying to reach a common ground with =
the=20
Dialogue. Sounds complicated if we don't use our diversity in a kindly and=
=20
comprehensive way.<BR></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">all the best</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">joana<BR></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><BR>-- <BR>-- <BR><BR>Joana Varon=20
Ferraz<BR>@joana_varon<BR>PGP 0x016B8E73<BR><BR></P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in"><BR></P></DIV>
<P>
<HR>