[bestbits] Sign-on letter for US organizations calling for #privacynowforall #GDPR4All

Burcu Kilic bkilic at citizen.org
Mon May 7 17:27:10 EDT 2018

Sorry for cross-posting!

Dear All,

Public Citizen and the Center for Digital Democracy are asking the various U.S. organizations to sign a letter calling on U.S. companies to adopt the new European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as a baseline standard worldwide for all of their services, including in the United States.  We are asking these companies to give real privacy protections now to all of their customers!

Sign the letter here<https://form.jotform.com/81204941682153> and find out more about the letter and the GDPR requirements.

The deadline for signing is Monday, May 14, 2:00PM.

For more details see also below.

Cheers,

Burcu

___________________________

Sign letter calling for #privacynowforall!

Dear Friends,
In just a few weeks, on May 25, 2018, the European Union's new data protection regime will go into effect. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regime is a revolution for consumer data protection.

By giving people strong privacy rights and effective control, the GDPR rebalances gross power asymmetries between individuals and companies. The GDPR puts effective limits on companies' data practices and on the gathering and use of personal data. Most notably, it has strong oversight and enforcement mechanisms that will keep companies accountable.

Sounds good, right? Unfortunately, it only applies to EU citizens' data. As U.S. citizens and residents, we will have even fewer rights compared to Europeans.

However, the global nature of the internet means that nearly every online company is making changes to their data practices because of the GDPR. Since companies will be providing these protections for hundreds of millions of people in Europe, there is no question that they are capable of applying the same protections worldwide.

So, the question is, why don't they? Why doesn't the GDPR apply to me? Why should the GDPR not apply to all of us? Why not #GDPRforAll? We must demand #privacynowforall!

We believe that these strong privacy standards should apply to everyone no matter where they live.

We are asking you to sign a letter calling on U.S. companies to adopt the new GDPR as a baseline standard worldwide for all of their services, including in the U.S. The letter will be send to about 100 Internet companies such as Amazon, Google and Uber, and the largest digital advertisers, such as Nestle, Walmart, JPMorgan Chase.

Join coalition of privacy and digital rights advocates, racial justice, civil and human rights groups. U.S. consumers and citizens and ask for #privacynowforall!

The deadline for signing the letter is 2 pm EST Monday, May 14.

Questions? Concerns? Suggestions? Shoot us an email ourdigitalrights [at] citizen dot org<mailto:ourdigitalrights at citizen.org> and gdpr [at] democraticmedia dot org<mailto:gdpr at democraticmedia.org>