[bestbits] New article on child protection and Internet censorship

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at malcolm.id.au
Wed Jul 4 14:08:56 EDT 2018

Here is a new article that members of this list may be interested in,
which I just published for my new nonprofit, Prostasia Foundation. It's
about child protection and Internet censorship:

https://medium.com/prostasia-foundation/child-protection-and-the-limits-of-censorship-a70f37389cb8

An excerpt:

"Human rights necessarily place some limits on our ability to police the
online transmission of unlawful images of minors, just as they also
limit our ability to investigate and prosecute other crimes such as
terrorism. But thankfully there is still much that authorities and
Internet platforms can do to limit the transmission of such images,
without infringing human rights or imposing authoritarian-level
restrictions on the free and open Internet."

It's quite long, sorry, but I hope you find it interesting.

--
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek