[bestbits] [governance] UN Working Group considering mechanisms for global governance of Internet fails

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Feb 2 13:35:48 EST 2018

For years I'd go to ICANN meetings and ask people building all these
castles in the sky "so, what are you going to do when the adults show
up?"

I'd either get blank looks or "what do you mean by 'adults'?"

And I'd say like people who actually have armies at their disposal, or
heads (or their direct representatives) of multibillion dollar telecom
companies rather than what I see here, mostly a ragtag bunch of
well-meaning unpaid volunteers spending a lot of their time and energy
fighting over some travel budget.

If there's actually anything here worth fighting for, and no doubt
some of you feel strongly that there is, it's probably long overdue to
worry less about the issues, you mostly agree except perhaps on some
fine points, and more about how or why you would possibly get a seat
at the adults' table.

Otherwise this is likely to degenerate into nothing more than yet
another mutual admiration society of little consequence.

--
        -Barry Shein