[bestbits] [governance] End of the year civil society meeting/ briefing

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:50:40 EST 2018

Dear All,
I was at Friday's meeting and have been following the discussions.
A few points:
1. Are discussion spaces like Internet Governance Caucus/Bestbits still
relevant? I ask because they have fallen very silent over the last year.
This question needs an answer.
2. Civil Society Coordination Group addresses the issue of civil society
representation in internet governance spaces. Internet governance has
become a very broad issue. There are powerful links with other areas of
concern for civil society - climate change, migration, child protection
etc. - and information and communication technologies are often the tools
used by civil society to carry out its business in these areas. How then is
civil society to be brought together to oversee its own interests? Or is
"civil society" only in this case those concerned narrowly with "internet
governance"?
3. "Civil society" is a very diverse creature. Because of this diversity it
is crucial to identify the common values on the foundation of which we can
come together to harness our communal strength to achieve objectives. This
is why it is desirable for us to revisit the 2003 Civil Society
Declaration
https://www.itu.int/net/wsis/docs/geneva/civil-society-declaration.pdf  As
far as I know this is the last time that civil society came together, in
the area that is relevant to this discussion, to make a joint statement of
values and intentions. Using the declaration for comparison - are the
values and intentions still the same?
4. Back at the end of November Sivasubramanian started this discussion.
When I replied then that "... we have been divided (or have divided
ourselves) into subsets of the general issue so there is no longer any
"community of energy"", Siva's response was "If there was an disagreement
between CS participants once or twice, on one or more issues, should we
characterize it as a division?" I think we should all ask ourselves about
this.
5. (Finally) In little Saint Lucia (pop 174,000) where I live we now have
at least 5 organisations concerned with history/culture/heritage which have
evolved from a single originator. It is beginning to be recognised that
this fragmentation impedes collaboration. I'm asking myself if this isn't a
local instance of a global situation - think for example of recent mass
action in France.
Over to you.
Whatever you celebrate or don't celebrate at this time of the year, I hope
it will be a period of peace, harmony and happiness for all of us.
Deirdre
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 10:27, Nadira Alaraj <nadira.araj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly Bruna, as Arsene has written if a merger BB/IGC happened then at
> the CSCG level the new members will discuss to be more inclusive and
> receptive to new members.
>
> The reason I'm mentioning it because I don't want the CS misses the
> discussion on this issue. I'm in support the inclusion of new CS coalition
> that could also be regional coalition and I suggested  the  IGF youth as an
> example.
> Nothing difficult when there is a well.
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018, 16:10 Bruna Martins dos Santos <
> bruna.mrtns at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Thanks @farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> for kickstarting the
>> discussion and @Arsène Tungali <arsenebaguma at gmail.com> for clarifying
>> the doubts about the CSCG.
>>
>> Before we decide on which group is joining CSCG, I believe its important
>> for us to stick to what was agreed on the call  which was: CSCG
>> representation discussion would only be done once we decided on the IGC/BB
>> merger.
>>
>> I personally believe that the decision of welcoming an specific group to
>> CSCG is a rather complicated one and would need to be thoroughly discussed
>> within all the groups represented at CSCG, not only best bits and IGC.
>>
>> best,
>> bruna
>>
>> Em seg, 17 de dez de 2018 às 12:02, Arsène Tungali <
>> governance at lists.riseup.net> escreveu:
>>
>>> This will be a discussion to happen at the CSCG level on the necessity
>>> or the opportunity to bring in new CS groups, which i personally
>>> welcome as a great idea.
>>>
>>> The CSCG ought to be inclusive of all the major civil society groups.

>>> at
>>> introduce a

>>> and
>>> satisfies the

>>> three

>>> CSCG has
>>> Union,
>>> Initiative

>>> would be

>>> farzaneh.badii at gmail.com

>>> in
>>> you.
>>> the

>>> that

>>> our
>>> on

>>> that)

>>> forum if
>>> our

>>> civil

>>> http://tungali.blogspot.com/2015/06/selected-for-2015-mandela-washington.html

>>> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/igf-ambassadors-programme/Past-Ambassadors

>>> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/Current-Ambassadors
>>> Blogger
>>> Fellow
>>> http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/news/1907-afrinic-25-fellowship-winners

> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979