[bestbits] FOR ACTION: survey on programming suggestions for 2017 IGF civil society pre-meeting

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 22:03:15 EDT 2017

Hi

While I agree that it is not just about participation but creating a
Global South narrative, the dualism North-South can hide important
aspects of internet governance debates which need to be uncovered,
such as inclusion of indigenous population, gender issues and many
others.
So, yes, social justice and internet governance is shaped by the
narrative which dominates this latter concept.
But that doesn't mean it is still important to debate internet
governance and Global South and do it so looking into the southern
rather than just taking a stance of opposition.
There are many themes and subthemes which can be raised from recent
internet governance issues in the Global South: shutdowns, threats to
multistakeholder governance, challenges to participation and so much
more.
These issues may originate or affect the Global South but have an
impact in a global level.
And still Private Ordering can be one of these issues.
I'll take it that the mapping will bring the sessions themes which
should be covered.
I'd just note that we should maintain an inclusive and productive
environment on the Civil Society meeting and, yes, support maintaining
the debate on Global South issues and participation too, despite IGF
moving out of the South this time.

Best,

Renata