[bestbits] EuroDIG sustainable access roundtable

Michael Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 05:51:28 EDT 2017

(apologies for cross-posting)

Dear colleagues,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Michael Oghia. I am a young
professional who entered the Internet governance community a little less
than two years ago, largely thanks to the Internet Society awarding me an
ambassadorship to the 2015 Internet Governance Forum.

Since then, I have dedicated myself to sustainable accessibility (including
writing
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20170321_shedding_light_on_how_much_energy_internet_and_ict_consume/>
about
the relationship between sustainability and the Internet, as well as
speaking about it). Now, I am organizing and moderating my first roundtable
as a community member next week: Workshop 11
<https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/WS_11_2017> at the European Dialogue on
Internet Governance (EuroDIG).

Especially given the current political climate, the timely workshop will
focus on sustainable access and digital pollution, specifically how *we
cannot legitimately address Internet access without addressing
sustainability*. Our keynote speaker is Dr. Mike Hazas of the University of
Lancaster, a sustainable ICT researcher and one of the people who
originally inspired me to start investigating the relationship between the
Internet and sustainability.

*We are also going to have on-site e-waste recycling bins available in case
anyone has e-waste they need to discard but are unsure of how or where to
do so, so please bring it with you to Tallinn if you are traveling to
EuroDIG.*

In case any of you are interested in this session, join us either in person
in Tallinn or online on *Wednesday, June 7 at 2:00 PM (GMT+3) *(details in
the attached photo). You can also check out our wiki page at:
https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/WS_11_2017

Many thanks to Chris Buckridge of the RIPE NCC for all of his support, and
to EES-Ringlus <http://eesringlus.ee/>, a local Estonian e-waste recycling
organization.

And thank you to everyone who continues to encourage me to be part of this
community and help keep the Internet open, free, and sustainable.

Warmest regards,
-Michael

Michael J. Oghia
EuroDIG 2017 focal point (WS 11 <http://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/WS_11_2017>)