[bestbits] New report on social media hijacking

Deji Bryce Olukotun deji at accessnow.org
Fri Jun 9 11:56:23 EDT 2017

Hi to All,

Apologies for cross-posting.

Access Now’s Digital Security Helpline has unveiled new research that
social media attacks on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram are evolving, and
proving much harder to resolve. In Venezuela, Bahrain, Myanmar, and
elsewhere, activists who try recover their social media accounts using
standard recovery processes can remain locked out. With this new form of
account hijacking — which we’re calling the “Doubleswitch” — victims don’t
just lose control of their social media accounts. They also have a harder
time recovering these accounts, and in some cases, they never get them
back.

You can read the report here: https://www.accessnow.org/doubleswitch-attack/

Deji Bryce Olukotun
Senior Global Advocacy Manager
Access Now | accessnow.org

tel: +1 415-935-4572 | @dejiridoo
PGP Fingerprint: 3AEE 4194 F70E C806 A810 857A 6AD5 8F48 6012 CDA8

*Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter on digital rights, the Access Now
Express: *https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up