[bestbits] Accountability group puts Google in same league as big oil and big tobacco

Yosem Companys ycompanys at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 14:30:06 EDT 2017

I agree with Jeremy.

There's a scientific research literature on the impact of money on people
and organizations, whether they are researchers or government officials and
universities or private companies.

In resource dependence theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_dependence_theory>, an organization
that provides resources to a person (or organization) puts the latter in a
dependent position because the latter depends on the former for resources.

In empirical evidence, the extent of the dependence is influenced a lot by
how the resources are awarded. In other words, the devil is in the details.
In this case, the devil is in the details of the contract.

For example, research has shown that universities (or university
departments) that receive money from private corporations with strings
attached tend to conform to the dictates of the funding entity. But many
university departments receive money with no strings attached, so inferring
a dependence in such a situation would be wrong.

In a different vein, research has shown that companies that rely on one
supplier tend to follow the dictates of that supplier. Think the car
industry and oil companies. Cars have internal combustion engines that rely
on gasoline, and the gas industry is an oligopoly. So the gas industry as a
supplier exerts significant control over car manufacturers. If the market
were more competitive, car manufacturers would not be as dependent. This is
one reason the electric car has taken so much time to build.

Going back to our discussion, as Jeremy notes, EFF has received Google
funding but has also been at times one of the fiercest critics of the
company. I assume that is because EFF doesn't have a contractual obligation
to do Google's bidding based on that funding.

Similarly, Google donated a significant amount of money to start Stanford
Liberationtech, yet Stanford Liberationtech regularly critiqued Google when
the company's actions went contrary to the spirit of Liberationtech.

To say that everyone who gets money from an entity is beholden to that
entity is the same as saying that anyone connected to a nefarious
individual is nefarious. Correlation does not imply causation. One needs to
examine the details of the relationships (the how and why) to know for sure.

That said, in the U.S., we tend to hold openness and transparency as a
public good, meaning that both people and organizations should disclose the
origins of their resources and let people evaluate their actions both on
their merits and relationships. For example, that is why we have SEC filing
disclosures for public companies.

At universities like Stanford, we teach our students not to take what they
read for granted. We ask them always to ask who the author of a written
piece is. Everyone should do the same.

What is the author's biography? How and why has the author chosen to write
about a particular subject? What are the author's relationships to specific
people and organizations?

Often the answers to these questions tell you a lot you need to know about
whether to take the work seriously or not. But again it is because of the
why and how and not the what of the relationships.

Just my two cents,
Yosem