[bestbits] Accountability group puts Google in same league as big oil and big tobacco

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Jul 17 13:13:26 EDT 2017

On 16/7/17 6:25 am, parminder wrote:
>> We place Google Policy Fellows at EFF, too.  Does that mean that
>> whatever work they do for the rest of their careers is tainted by the
>> few thousand they received to support their living expenses as an EFF
>> fellow?
>
> I do not think so. But a huge amount of transparency must attend what
> these fellows work on, who sets their agenda, who shapes, vets, etc
> their outputs, and so on?
>
> Since you share EEF's experience with google fellows, let me ask you a
> direct question. A few NGOs where Google placed its fellows have told
> me in the past that Google closely vets final outcomes of any research
> from these fellows. Is it true by your experience/ knowledge?

No, it's not true at all.  Who told you that?  And EFF recently
initiated a complaint about Google to the Federal Trade Commission, so
you can judge from that how much having Google-funded policy fellows has
influenced what we do.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122