[bestbits] SIDS and LDC Session Pre-IGF 17th December 0900 - 11:00 [Call for Civil Society Participation and Inclusion]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:45:15 EST 2017

Dear Global Civil Society Colleagues,

 In the quest to broaden SIDS and Developing Country participation within
the IGF, we are hosting a two hour Preparatory Session for Small Islands
Developing States and Least Developed Countries on Sunday the 17th December,
2017 to encourage increased awareness of Internet Governance and meaningful
participation from governments, private sector and civil society. The
Preparatory Session will be held on

   Sunday December 17, 2017 *09:00 - 11:00* at the Salle 5
<https://igf2017.sched.com/venue/Salle+5?iframe=yes&w=100%25&sidebar=yes&bg=no>
 *Centre International de Conférences Genève (CICG).*

The central objective of the Preparatory Session is to provide a briefing
on Internet Governance and to encourage increased participation and launch
a network to ensure that SIDS and Developing voices are included in global
policy discussions and conversations. In addition, it is to encourage SIDS
sharing resources with each other to accelerate the opportunity of
achieving access and meeting Sustainable Development Goals 2030. We would
like to see a growth in participation and workshop proposals to the IGF
Secretariat for 2018 and beyond.

Aside from inviting select Permanent Representatives to the UN in Geneva
and to the WTO (some have confirmed), where we are expecting a roundtable
style moderated discussions, we would like to extend the invitation to the
civil society who may wish to invite colleagues or friends to attend the 2
hour preparatory session or offer themselves to part of the dialogue.

If anyone in the civil society space would like to contribute to the Panel
or showcase material from your country or organization at the SIDS and LDC
Booth please feel free to contact me on sala at pasifikanexus.nu or Cintra
Sooknanan on cintra.sooknanan at gmail.com

If anyone from thecivil society space would also like to be part of any of
the Panels below, simply indicate by emailing Cintra and I separately so we
can arrange to have you slotted in. See Tentative Programme below. We will
also be using this to point to those attending what Sessions they be
interested to take part in during the IGF.

*       SIDS AND LDCs TENTATIVE PROGRAMME 17th December, 2017, Geneva
 (0900 – 1100)*

•  Welcome by Moderator, Bevil Wooding, ARIN Outreach Coordinator

•  Setting the Context Introduction to Internet Governance. WGIG 2005
Report, Mandate of the IGF and Renewal of the IGF, and the IGF in
Transition. [5 minutes] Professor Ang Peng Hwa, Nanyang Technology
University, Singapore. Member of the Expert Group that wrote the Working
Group in Internet Governance Group (WGIG 2005 Report
<https://www.wgig.org/docs/WGIGREPORT.pdf>.  [To be Confirmed]
Representative from the NRIs To Be Confirmed.

•  Opening Remarks by Ambassador Nazhat Shameem Khan [5 - 8 min] *CONFIRMED*

•  Increasing Quality of SIDS participation in the IGF (Rep from Caribbean,
AIMS and Pacific, MAG representatives, IGFSA [10 min]

•  Diplomatic Corp SIDS and LDCs Roundtable facilitated by Ambassador
Nazhat Shameem Khan  [30 minutes] *CONFIRMED*

•  Regional Internet Registries (NRO), Overview of Internet Use in SIDS
Countries [AFRINIC. APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, LACNIC, RIPE NCC] [20 min]

•  Private Sector (Business Community from SIDS and LDC Region) [Theme to
be developed] [10 min]

•  ICANN Engagement and Internet Governance [15 minutes]

•  Panel on ITU-D Resolutions Update convened by ISOC Jane Coffin [15
minutes] [Jane Coffin acquiring panelists to include UNCTAD.

•  Emerging Issues Impacting Business Communities in SIDS and LLDCs
(Joining the Global Conversation) [15 min]

•  Panel on International Organisations Engagement in Internet Governance
 UNESCO, WIPO, WTO etc [20 min]

•  Civil Society [Digital Rights, etc] [15 min]

•  Overview of Sessions at the IGF 2017 [Cyber Security, Human Rights,
Trade etc]

•  Discussion on SIDS  and LDCs Network and appointing Secretariat

•  Identifying Terms of Reference and Scope for Network

•  Appointing Coordinators and creation of Mailing List and Looking for
volunteers to host the listserv etc

•  Developing future pathways as a global community

--

*Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala T*

*P. O. Box 17862*

*Suva*

*Republic of Fiji*

*Cell: +679 7656770; *

*Home: +679 3362003*
*Twitter: @SalanietaT*

*"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the
greatest quality of the mind next to honour." Aristotle*