[bestbits] LETTER: Net Neutrality Developments in Senegal

Gus Rossi gus at publicknowledge.org
Wed Dec 6 11:52:19 EST 2017

Hi everyone!

The Senegalese government is currently considering adopting a new bill
<http://cticdakar.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=41682d288cc415e665c90fd35&id=c17cb643f4&e=78f73eb4fe>,
the “Code Communications Electronics” that might be very harmful to net
neutrality. (net neutrality is under attack everywhere)

Especifically, Article 28 establishes that  *“L'Autorité de régulation peut
autoriser ou imposer toute mesure de gestion du trafic qu'elle juge utile
pour, notamment, préserver l'équilibre économique et la concurrence dans le
secteur des communications électroniques et veiller au traitement équitable
de services similaires.” , *or in English that "*The Regulatory Authority
may authorize or impose any traffic management measure it deems necessary
to, inter alia, preserve the economic balance and competition in the
electronic communications sector and ensure the fair treatment of similar
services."*

Asutic from Senegal, Web Foundation, and PK have *drafted a letter* to the
Senegalese government, asking it to remove that paragraph from the bill.

We invite you to sign into it. *The deadline is today* (sorry, running out
of time! especially since we also need to make a French translation)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XV5Kl3VOlLDnOcZ5ZjMYfkfVQAjosUVRHtbRHGDKClg/edit

----

# # #
# • #
# # #
*Gus Rossi*
Global Policy Director
(202) 861-0020 (x123) | (202) 651 1337 (mobile) | @agustinrs
<https://twitter.com/@agustinrs>
*Public Knowledge* | @publicknowledge <https://twitter.com/publicknowledge>
 | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036 | CFC 12259