[bestbits] Human Rights Heroes and Villains - nominate until 13Sept

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 12:36:08 EDT 2017

Hi Alex

I think this is quite a healthy debate.

It is quite easy to see that dualist views in technology policy is a
rather restrictive approach.

I'm not sure if understand your Germany example but Brazil, well,
we're surrounded by villains now and it took less than 1 year. And
many voted for the major villain when he was vice-president candidate.
But one has to highlight the quickness and the energy the interim
president has invested in undoing or trying to undo everything done
before his term. In center stage, Brazil's foward-thinking digital
rights bill.

Would be possible for a villain to change his ways and do, at least,
less damage than what he is used to? Any effort towards pointing that
out is quite welcome by those who are opressed by the villain.

Is the hero cult dangerous? Of course. But this is not a problem of
tech only, it rather affects tech dangerously. Women are subject to
harassment in and out of tech, it is the lack of policies of
protection which is clearly amplified in gender-based violence online.

Still, courage of those who speak out has to be highlighted. As well
as wrongdoings of those who are supposed to do a good job for their
people.