[bestbits] Human Rights Heroes and Villains - nominate until 13Sept

Alex Comninos alex.comninos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:13:34 EDT 2017

Hi

Sorry for the terse reply. Thanks for sharing.

I guess I have been annoyed for some time at binary and moralistic
discourse discourse (good guys and bad guys) in human rights. In addition
to being polarising ,it misses the point that humans are complex creatures
and that human rights and rule of law are complex processes that require
evolution and nurturing towards good.

For example, Germany, the new "leader of the free world" has this year
promulgated one of the worst internet laws ever in terms of digital rights
- Russia just copy pasted it. Is Germany now a "villain"? Or is the answer
more complex and involves a move in a bad direction.

Also the "heroes" in tech thing, in addition to being gendered, is
dangerous - the Jacob Appelbaum affair being a case in point.