[bestbits] Steering committee nomination process: NOMINATE NOW

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 8 00:27:26 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 08 August 2017 03:40 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 4/8/17 9:25 pm, parminder wrote:
>> One, is there any qualification that the nominated person should be
>> from a civil society organisation, or if acting as an individual
>> having to declare that s/he acts as a civil society actor and
>> represents no non- civil society organisation? I mean, what if a
>> person who comes from a private company with active Internet policy
>> interests, a business interests advocacy group, or is otherwise
>> substantially working with business sector on Internet policy areas,
>> gets nominated?
>
> Good question!  Per item 4 of the Best Bits procedures document,
> "Candidacy is open to civil society participants only."

Thanks. And I understand that voting should also only be open only to
civil society participants. With civil society participants I
understand we mean those who represent a civil society organisation and
not a private or government organisation, or as civil society
individuals have no representational, or otherwise close and obvious,
association vis a vis Internet governance and policies with any private
or gov organisation.

I see mentioned somewhere in the BestBits docs that collective decisions
will be taken together only by civil society members, and since
appointment of a steering committee is one such important collective
decision it follows that voting for it should involve only civil society
members. One way to do is to of course pre declare this condition, and
then post a list of those voted so that people would be able see where
non CS people voted.... thanks, parminder