[bestbits] Steering committee nomination process: NOMINATE NOW

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Aug 7 18:10:20 EDT 2017

On 4/8/17 9:25 pm, parminder wrote:
> One, is there any qualification that the nominated person should be
> from a civil society organisation, or if acting as an individual
> having to declare that s/he acts as a civil society actor and
> represents no non- civil society organisation? I mean, what if a
> person who comes from a private company with active Internet policy
> interests, a business interests advocacy group, or is otherwise
> substantially working with business sector on Internet policy areas,
> gets nominated?

Good question!  Per item 4 of the Best Bits procedures document,
"Candidacy is open to civil society participants only."

> Two, on a separate note; going into bestbits history, and it having
> been formed to gather serious civil society groups, or different
> kinds, to possibly be able to act together, and that, as you observed
> in your paper, Just Net Coalition guys broke away from the effort on
> account on issues of whether steering committee members should
> disclose their "basic" organisational (or otherwise) funding
> information, to the level that is normally understood to considered as
> a civil society accountability standard, such a condition be put in
> the nomination process.

There is no specific qualification about financial accountability but
people can address this in their statements.  For those who rate this as
important, they will take its presence or absence into account in their
voting.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122