[bestbits] NGO statement to the UNGA First Committee on cyberspace and human security available for endorsement

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Wed Oct 12 14:54:45 EDT 2016

We have here another not very timely opportunity for endorsement of a
statement on cybersecurity:

http://bestbits.net/unga-cyberspace-2016/

The statement was shopped around only in the last two days to a smaller
group of peace and IG groups and academics and has been finalised
already for presentation at the UNGA.  I've asked the organizer if he
can give some more notice next time, so that there is a better
opportunity for people to give input.

Here is an excerpt that I think many of us can agree with:

    Treating cyber primarily as a military and security issue risks
    institutionalising the broad idea of cyber conflict. This may lead
    to preparations that escalate the threat, and responses that
    unnecessarily escalate incidents, including misunderstandings, into
    armed conflict. It also risks adopting a framework that is more
    permissive of harm to the population than international human rights
    law allows. In working to prevent cyber attacks, states should
    consider the full range of impacts on human rights, international
    humanitarian law, protection of civilians and state responsibility.
    In approaching these issues, it is therefore important to be wary of
    overinflating the threat, and in doing so promoting militarisation
    and escalation. We should remember that the Internet is essentially
    civilian infrastructure and should not be made the target of or the
    medium for attacks.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220