[bestbits] Time sensitive: Nominations for IGF closing and opening speakers by COB 07 November

Shahzad Ahmad shahzad at bytesforall.pk
Mon Nov 7 10:16:22 EST 2016

Dear Friends and colleagues,

We are very pleased to nominate Mr. Asad Baig, Executive Director, Media Matters for Democracy from Pakistan to be one of the speaker. We have talked to him and he is willing to take up this important responsibility. His brief profile is appended below:

———
Asad Baig
asad at mediamatters.pk <mailto:asad at mediamatters.pk>

Asad Baig is the founder and Executive Director of Media Matters for Democracy, a Pakistan based non profit working to promote and protect freedom of expression in the country as a key component of democratic development. A technologist by education, he switched to journalism early in his career and has since been interested in bringing the two together. His organisation is working extensively on bringing together journalism and technology and is thus involved in policy discussions on internet governance and regulation from a rights based perspective. He is also working with his team to improve and facilitate access of technology to women and marginalised groups in Pakistan and is currently involved in the process of developing a technological solution for countering gender based abuse online.  Previously associated with Open Society Foundations Pakistan, he lobbied to add open data and equal access to the foundation’s media program strategy and was instrumental in the creation of various local coalition working on issues ranging from digital rights to impunity in journalists’ murders. In addition to various researches on media content and economy in Pakistan, he has also published researches on the status of freedom of expression online and state of religious expression in cyberspace. He is currently a part of the Mutistakeholder Advisory Group for Pakistan National IGF.
———

Over to you for your kind considerations.

Best wishes and regards

Shahzad

---
Shahzad Ahmad
Country Director, Bytes for All, Pakistan
Office Direct Landline: +92 51 8437982   Cell. +92 333 5236060