[bestbits] *reminder* Call for Nominations for civil representatives - CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation

Lea Kaspar lea at gp-digital.org
Sun Mar 13 06:25:00 EDT 2016

Dear Nadira, all,

Please find below my expression of interest to become one of the 5 civil
society representatives on the UN CSTD Working Group on Enhanced
Cooperation. I thank this group in advance for considering my application.

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Warm wishes,
Lea

---

>  short bio of one paragraph,

Lea Kaspar heads Global Partner Digital <http://www.gp-digital.org/>'s
(GPD) programmatic portfolio and leads the organisation’s international
policy arm. Since joining GPD in 2012, she has been concentrating upon
facilitating multistakeholder dialogue and civil society engagement in
international internet governance debates. She has developed and
coordinated information sharing, capacity building, and advocacy
initiatives at the Global Conference on Cyberspace (GCCS), NETmundial, the
WSIS+10 Review process, the 2013-2014 UN CSTD Working Group on Enhanced
Cooperation (WGEC), and various processes of the International
Telecommunication Union (ITU). She is a member of the Internet Governance
Forum (IGF) Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG), a member of the UK
Multistakeholder Group on Internet Governance (MAGIG), and sits on the
Steering Committee of the UK IGF.

> one paragraph of motivation to be a civil society representative to CSTD
Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation,

Following the conclusion of the WSIS Review Process, the WGEC will become a
critical space to shape the normative landscape of global internet
governance. It will present an opportunity to push a positive agenda for
change, and, at the same time, pose a threat to the gains that we, as a
global community, have made since the WSIS in 2005. With a growing trend to
close and limit the space for public interest voices in internet governance
debates, civil society will have a key role at WGEC to resist a reading of
enhanced cooperation that is reserved for governments, and instead offer a
vision that involves all stakeholders, based on the principles of openness,
transparency and inclusiveness. Furthermore, WGEC will be an opportunity
for civil society to build on the outcomes of the 2013-14 WGEC and
NETmundial by demystifying the flexible, issue-based understanding of roles
and responsibilities of stakeholders in internet governance. Building on
the insight gained during WGEC 2013-14, my engagement  in the WSIS Review,
and my experience on the IGF MAG, I would be privileged to contribute to
this outcome by bringing my skills and expertise to the Working Group as
one of its civil society representatives.

> one paragraph describing substantive proposals or a vision on “how to
further implement enhanced cooperation as envisioned in the Tunis Agenda”,
and

The notion of enhanced cooperation as a principle of governance matters
insofar as it contributes to achieving the WSIS vision of a
“people-centered, development-oriented information society”. Although
anchored around the question of the role of governments, enhanced
cooperation in support of the WSIS vision cannot be achieved without the
involvement of all stakeholders. The most important immediate task in
further implementing it will therefore be to clarify the roles of
responsibilities of different stakeholders in internet governance. A
starting point for this task is provided in the NETmundial outcome document
<http://netmundial.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NETmundial-Multistakeholder-Document.pdf>which
states that “the respective roles and responsibilities of stakeholders
should be interpreted in a flexible manner with reference to the issue
under discussion”. As a member of the WGEC, I would seek to leverage the
NETmundial outcome, as well as the mapping output of WGEC 2013-14, in order
to develop practical recommendations to promote a flexible, issue-based
understanding of roles and responsibilities, and a vision of enhanced
cooperation based upon principles of openness, transparency, and
inclusiveness.

> one paragraph describing experience or qualifications to represent civil
society on the CSTD Working Group.

I have been an active member of the global internet governance community
since 2012, focused on facilitating meaningful civil society engagement in
international forums and processes, including at the recent WSIS+10 Review
and the 2013-14 WGEC. During the 2013-14 WGEC, I participated as an active
observer in 4 out of 5 meetings of the Group. Following its establishment,
I joined the WGEC Correspondence Group, and played a critical role in
developing the mapping output of the Group, which served as the basis for
the CSTD mapping report
<http://www.giplatform.org/sites/default/files/CSTD_2014_Mapping_Internet_en%20Dec%202014.pdf>
issued in November 2014. Through this engagement, I gained invaluable
insight into the dynamics of the enhanced cooperation debate that I would
seek to leverage as a civil society representative in the group’s reboot.

> Name, gender, regional/geographical, as well as any appropriate
affiliation information and contact information should be included as well.

Gender: Female

Nationality: Croatian (UN regional group: Eastern European)

Affiliation: Global Partners Digital, UK
---

*Lea Kaspar*

Head of Programmes and International Policy | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL

Second Home, 68-80 Hanbury Street, London, E1 5JL

T: +44 (0)20 3818 3258 | M: +44 (0)7583 929216

gp-digital.org