[bestbits] *reminder* Call for Nominations for civil representatives - CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation

Nadira Alaraj nadira.araj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 02:47:56 EST 2016

Dear Best Bits members,

The outcome document of the United Nations General Assembly’s ten-year
review of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) in 2015
included a direction for the Chair of the Commission on Science and
Technology for Development (CSTD) to "establish a working group to develop
recommendations on how to further implement enhanced cooperation as
envisioned in the Tunis Agenda” . This will continue work done by an
earlier CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation, that was active from
2013-2014, and current CSTD Chair, Peter Major of Hungary,
has indicated that he will establish the new working group in a similar
fashion, with 20 UN Member States and 5 representatives from each of the
four identified stakeholder groups (business, civil society,
intergovernmental organizations, the technical & academic community).
While the exact time frame for the working group has not been established,
nominees are asked to consider  a service period of 2016-2017 (and
eventually the beginning of 2018).

Hence, I call upon those who are interested to come forward and nominate
themselves through this list by March 12th, after that I will generate a
candidate list with the Bios to be presented in one email  the community
for 3 days endorsement period.  Based on the endorsement period I will
generate a short listing to be submitted to the NomCom of the Civil Society
Coordination Group by the end of  March 15th.

Details of the UNCATAD call: available here

Please, feel free to share this call with any Independent Civil Society
experts (i.e. those who are not nominated by a civil society network or
other community) who are welcome to send self-nominations directly to the
CSCG NomCom (email address: noncom06 at internetgov-cs.org).

Nominations should include a
>  short bio of one paragraph,
>  one paragraph of motivation to be a civil society representative to CSTD
Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation,
> one paragraph describing substantive proposals or a vision on “how to
further implement enhanced cooperation as envisioned in the Tunis Agenda”,
and
> one paragraph describing experience or qualifications to represent civil
society on the  CSTD Working Group.
> Name, gender, regional/geographical, as well as any appropriate
affiliation information and contact information should be included as well.

> Proficiency in English is necessary for communications within the Working
Group.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,