[bestbits] RightsCon: "Closing the Gap on Global Connectivity" Session on April 1

Melanie Penagos melanie at publicknowledge.org
Tue Mar 29 16:53:24 EDT 2016

Hi All,

For those of you that will be attending RightsCon this week, we invite you
to join us in a civil society consultation session on "Closing the Gap on
Global Connectivity", being held on Friday, April 1 from 4:00pm - 5:00pm
PT: http://sched.co/6Mi6
<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://sched.co/6Mi6&sa=D&ust=1459286706925000&usg=AFQjCNEDuXLo5f2_qkqEQlQMlVv0s6_LDw>
The focus will be on Global Connect, a U.S. Department of State sponsored
initiative to increase worldwide broadband connectivity. We will consult on
the best strategies to move forward the Global Connect goal of bringing 1.5
billion people online by 2020. Questions we will explore are:

   - What are the best policies, narratives, and practices to reach the
   2020 and 2030 goals?
   - What is the Global Connect Initiative and its core stepping stones?
   - What to ask and expect from the Multilateral Banks meeting occurring
   in April in Washington, DC?
   - What is the role of Civil Society within this effort and how the
   technical community can help address the challenges?

The session will be structured with a 30 minute presentation by a diverse
set of longtime advocates and from US government representatives, followed
by 30 minutes of discussion. One possible goal is for RightsCon
participants to ask Financial Ministers - core actors of the April 13-14
Multilateral Banks Meeting in New York - to commit national investments on
ICT infrastructure, broadband plans, and related.

Please RSVP here
<https://docs.google.com/a/publicknowledge.org/forms/d/1KqcIFv0qWm6VmogfxUBUBdC9ew6H2F32Kqlo_Ec0Pzk/viewform>
if you are able to attend.

More information on Global Connect:

Global Connect Goals are: (1) all countries integrate Internet connectivity
as a key part of their own national development strategies; (2)
international development institutions, such as multilateral development
banks and development agencies, prioritize digital access; and (3)
innovative industry-driven solutions to extend connectivity are catalyzed
and supported.
Best,

Carolina Rossini

--