[bestbits] Internet shutdowns campaign + GNN Meetup at RightsCon

Deji Olukotun deji at accessnow.org
Mon Mar 28 18:45:50 EDT 2016

Hi everyone - apologies for the overlapping lists.

RightsCon Silicon Valley <https://www.rightscon.org/> is just one week away
and we're looking forward to seeing many of you there! There will be a
number of meetings, sessions, and events to attend so I'm sure your
calendar is filling up quickly.

I wanted to spotlight *two events* happening there. The first you may have
heard about from Josh:

1. *We're pulling together a global Net Neutrality coalition lunch meeting
on Thursday, March 31, from 1:15 - 2:15pm, in the "Hub."   *This is a
chance for NN advocates from around the world to share notes and strategies
on advancing Net Neutrality in every region, pulling more advocates into
the coalition, and ultimately adding more countries to this map of global
Net Neutrality laws <http://thisisnetneutrality.org/>. We'll also use the
time to talk about plans for addressing zero rating, data caps, app
blocking, and other related issues.

Please RSVP josh at accessnow.org if you can make it

2. Access Now will be launching our *international #KeepitOn **campaign* to
fight internet shutdowns on *Friday, April 1 from 2:30 - 3:45pm in the Hub*.
After that session
<https://rightscon.sched.org/event/6Mi4/how-to-fight-an-internet-shutdown-announcing-the-keepiton-campaign>,
we'll be uploading an international definition of internet shutdowns to
Wikipedia to create a baseline for global activism. If your organization is
interested in joining the fight to push back against this increasing
practice (there have been 3 major shutdowns this month already) then please
come by. Or join us to help create the definition on Friday in the same
room from 4 -5pm.

RSVP deji at accessnow.org if you can make it.

Deji Olukotun
Senior Global Advocacy Manager
Access Now | accessnow.org

tel: +1 415-935-4572 | @dejiridoo
PGP: 0x6012CDA8
Fingerprint: 3AEE 4194 F70E C806 A810 857A 6AD5 8F48 6012 CDA8

*Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter on digital rights, the Access Now
Express: *https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up