[bestbits] Human rights and the internet: New space on openDemocracy - now live

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 05:19:42 EDT 2016

Dear all

(Apologies for the inevitable cross-posting)

After some months of work, it is with great pleasure that I can
introduce you all to a new initiative, which has just gone live on
openDemocracy <https://www.opendemocracy.net/>- It is entitled /Human
Rights and the Internet/, and you can enter the series directly at
https://www.opendemocracy.net/hri.

This space brings scholars, activists, artists, techies, and
policymakers together to debate, and also to delve more deeply into a
range of interlocked issues that fall under this rubric now that this
connection has become a recognizable element to internet governance
policymaking, scholarship, and human rights advocacy. Thanks to all the
contributors for the inaugural page, some familiar authors and also some
up and coming contributors.

Feel free to comment and if you would like to contribute let me know.

Watch this space for more news on upcoming articles.

The hashtag is #humanrightsinternet

Best wishes

MF

--
Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Chair of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
Steering Committee/Former Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights