[bestbits] Fwd: Re: [IRPCoalition] OECD - what is going on? and what do you need to know?

Tamir Israel tisrael at cippic.ca
Thu Jan 28 11:22:51 EST 2016

Dear Parminder,

If I recall, objections to the 2011 multi-lateral, inter-state Internet
governance body actually arose from the fact that the proposal did /not/
follow the OECD model.

The OECD model is to produce non-binding soft law in a multi-stakeholder
context. On digital issues, civil society has direct input into that
policy-making process, and this has been the case since the Seoul
Ministerial in 2009 (the recent formulation of the Committee on Digital
Economy which you refer to was a change in name only, nothing changed
functionally with respect to the nature or scope of digital issues
undertaken or civil society's role therein).

The key to the OECD is that it generates lots of policy reports or, at
most, soft law instruments -- nothing binding comes out of it. In this
context, it's useful for civil society to engage with other stakeholders
to attempt to resolve policy issues. We definitely do not have the final
say on these policies, nor do we have a veto on par with state parties.
But the OECD operates on a multi-stakeholder principle, meaning they
will keep working until views of all member states and of the four
stakeholder groups (which include, as relevant: the business community,
the technical community, a trade union community and on
telecommunications and digital issues, civil society). To date there has
been only one single occasion where a policy document was adopted by the
OECD over the sustained objections of civil society.

Even that policy documents, though, have no binding effect on anyone. In
practice, many, many OECD policies remain largely unimplemented by OECD
member states. They tend to form more of a reference or normative
statement that is at most useful as one single input into domestic
policy-making processes (I note incidentally that I do a lot of national
policy development and that in my experience most OECD policies tend to
be more useful to civil society than to other segments of society, for
whatever that's worth).

My understanding of the proposed 2011 UN governance body at the time
(and please correct me if I'm wrong) was wholly different. It was to be
based on a command and control model. It envisioned something similar to
ICANN (which, unlike the OECD, directly implements its policies by its
control of the root, etc), but with governments at the helm as opposed
to the stakeholder model. Indeed, one element of the proposal would have
been to place ICANN (and perhaps some of the other technical
communities) under the control of the new UN governance body. This is
very different from the OECD soft policy-development process.

All the best (and happy 2016 !),
Tamir