[bestbits] Fwd: Re: [IRPCoalition] OECD - what is going on? and what do you need to know?

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Jan 28 09:23:16 EST 2016

Parminder,
There is a slight inaccuracy in your words here:

On 01/28/16 08:59, parminder wrote:

> People like Nick Ashton will actively argue at global forums like
> this, that no, there is no need to have a separate Internet or digital
> policies related body, and all such areas can very well be dealt by
> policy bodies looking at respective impacted domains (work, education,
> governance, etc) ...

It is not "people like Nick Ashton", it is the General Assembly of the
UN (UNGA), which decided in the WSIS+10 discussion that there is no need
for a separate body. It is the UNGA that decided that the IGF is the
forum to continue to discuss in the next 10 years all issues Internet
related. To say that this is argument of "people like Nick Ashton" is
not accurate. It is not (only) people, it is the member states of the UN.

By the way, India also supported this model. And Bulgaria - which can
only make me proud that my government listened to the civil society, and
ISOC-Bulgaria on that subject.

Veni Markovski
Internet Society - Bulgaria
http://www.isoc.bg