[bestbits] Fwd: Re: [IRPCoalition] OECD - what is going on? and what do you need to know?

Lea Kaspar lea at gp-digital.org
Fri Feb 5 06:38:07 EST 2016

Hi Parminder - sorry for the delay in getting back to you -

Admittedly, I don't have a very robust understanding of what's been going
on in the OECD space, so I could be missing some crucial piece of the
puzzle and appreciate the context you provided. But my comment is broader
anyway. I disagree that you have to deploy a governance agenda in every
advocacy effort you are a part of (which is how I understand what you're
saying). If one thinks that making a short term gain on, say,
cybersecurity, will be undermined by pushing a governance argument at that
point, they may decide not to bring it up. I don't think this is
contradictory at all, just shows that people have different priorities and
strategies.

I can see how if you take governance as the underlying problem, you could
argue that any policy-specific efforts that ignore governance issues will
in the end be unsustainable. But A) some may disagree that governance is
the underlying problem, and B) even it it was, it doesn't follow that all
efforts that don't put it at the forefront of their agendas are at odds
with it. Hope this clarifies the point I was trying to make.

Best wishes,
Lea

Sent from my iPhone