[bestbits] Reminder: Call for applications for online course on civil resistance

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 10:03:13 EDT 2015

Begin forwarded message:

*From: ***ICNC** <academicinitiative at nonviolent-conflict.org>
*Subject: **Reminder: Call for applications for online course on civil
resistance*
*Date: *September 9, 2015 at 9:34:48 AM EDT
*To: *mackinnon at newamerica.net

*Call for Applications: Credited ICNC-Rutgers Online Course on Civil
Resistance  *
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001NSTZkVbZHO1i9fgvZ5PHdWpamqBgSfAtoq3VJYYfMxilr0gQuEGZ2iSsYv17AXlGXiiYdQdXVj3NiRGXgpfHR0_r2ty_Dzk-ncvmD5rPoKDtg5fRSiFvxxbAbvmBvykNRCOxcmbiQHzK_EHaUNRSKz_uS_QpLnW0f_7-Vx3a9FF8gvoQf5EbxRzUyiSYwFGyNZGOxJtKayh9A-5YgjBXiRnecfeYRpXLeT-xm5wSkTwKK2MHRE2fpv6ULcfmeplT-JvNBYv4EfgInPl2lCwQHrBmNCNotjGGkSdeO91JLji9ZrDGm2Ld1_YgICaylRfK8RyBfsCQnZ1Va8PT6bxDIQU4fUZRacGBDMk3dirYYTbGemzDdS08uIRZmQIoUZ1lKWRUZ1cHR2J2PdbBI35SmDDZO45eNgmGeEd1aUuFwtPaQAkOAIqSGa-8RcT9O9eiDroB3bCAbGQ=&c=vC-B05-3d09X3LIJHP5mlrpUFuwdLISpveOZDWd2xEXJ9PKZqH-pEA==&ch=dKsa9q2pOxNTxpaLxLBJczbovqPl9Wmt1RocYz0N1mtErlk4p_KbbA==>
View the introductory video for the course
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001NSTZkVbZHO1i9fgvZ5PHdWpamqBgSfAtoq3VJYYfMxilr0gQuEGZ2rfVc_LWFcvvms3132jVHlrYuCZ-CaSwfGG5P06QNu0c1KyZiNvFF8Z3LJcDh1MqjzbTf_ZrAtKs8SqI9-SZddYSUgsxIXFYz2UuK3ZyW5_8LQjeGbuf4GokFUwvJPL96JfSdhvy3zBKGe9lmxASSIMyEK_C7F8zSs1VLGxT6ArRvbeS1MxXVoE=&c=vC-B05-3d09X3LIJHP5mlrpUFuwdLISpveOZDWd2xEXJ9PKZqH-pEA==&ch=dKsa9q2pOxNTxpaLxLBJczbovqPl9Wmt1RocYz0N1mtErlk4p_KbbA==>
"I already begun disseminating the knowledge that I gained from this course
in my country. We need to know about nonviolent movements and need to know
the people power."
*-2014 course participant*

"Everyone was engaged and made interesting contributions; there was real
debate in the forums, with the facilitators adding new ideas and
summaries."
*-2013 course participant*

"The readings were stimulating. The feedback was useful and relevant. The
times when we connected via web chat and video conference were most
engaging."

*-2012 course participant*
The* International Center on Nonviolent Conflict* (ICNC) and the *Rutgers
International Institute for Peace* are now accepting applications for the
online course, "*People Power: The Study of Strategic Nonviolent Resistance*"
that will take place between October 9 and November 25, 2015.

This online course is designed to provide an in-depth and multidisciplinary
perspective on civilian-based movements and campaigns that defend and
obtain basic rights and justice around the world with the use of nonviolent
tactics and strategies - from Lebanon to Guatemala, from Armenia to West
Papua. We consider various cases of civil resistance struggles, including
those that go beyond resistance against states and will study nonviolent
organizing and actions to curb corruption, fight unaccountable elites and
abusive business practices and challenge violent non-state groups. We will
also reflect on the skills and agency of ordinary people, their strategies
and tactics, backfire, role of gender in civil resistance, and long-term
impact of civil resistance.

*Course goals*

   - provide interactive and structured learning environment for studying
   civil resistance
   - introduce participants to the main concepts and ideas of civil
   resistance
   - reflect on effectiveness of civil resistance, and its power to
   overcome adversarial conditions
   - facilitate moderated discussions among participants, including their
   on-the-ground experience
   - help participants become effective conveyors of civil resistance
   knowledge

*When*: October 9 - November 25, 2015

*Where*: Online Learning Platform: civilresistancestudies.org.

*Who should apply*: Graduate students, field practitioners, civil society
and policy professionals and educators from around the world interested in
the subject matter.

*Graduate Credits*: Participants may choose to take this course for
academic credits. Info on credit fee & additional assignments is available
in the online application.

*Deadline to apply*: September 27, 2015

   -  Click here to learn more and apply
   <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001NSTZkVbZHO1i9fgvZ5PHdWpamqBgSfAtoq3VJYYfMxilr0gQuEGZ2qv9L-TfvtVX_b_QyaZOSsE3nHnNw7H5yn04M4ZDGmbPsVkFFf90gfDziVpuXdmlpvvDzoQatXUV4kMnmsLOW6zHPI24qljD-aTjrm0TBLfh4uD4xtSAVUBddwHutSIqVk2jMyPo7czwkX1HsBz8x22knwiNoZZ8YMQNtmTPBQ931bJCzSKedbRrVPkO2txsX8wvsVKTwSPu_FqDpd6OjGmdoX1xoeyZPcAy6h28wN-q82cQZEV-CrXG4KgiBJdxrultpcLUcW3LsdgCnlDFnVDGNyJdeLM4pbVIOMAt7leleFOu3TFmljiFlhcdXtRUpv0AsTjRxFdXQvAvqqHZaX4P0RGQLlHhHg4nszYJZYKq0O7ImMKUHybg5dkCI2bM0Gr40FR7L0sW3tuwE5EOlDU=&c=vC-B05-3d09X3LIJHP5mlrpUFuwdLISpveOZDWd2xEXJ9PKZqH-pEA==&ch=dKsa9q2pOxNTxpaLxLBJczbovqPl9Wmt1RocYz0N1mtErlk4p_KbbA==>

The International Center on Nonviolent Conflict (ICNC) is an independent,
nonprofit educational foundation that works with leading scholars,
educators and practitioners to broaden an understanding about  the  use of
civilian-based, nonmilitary strategies in defense of human rights,
democratic self-rule and justice worldwide.
Contact: academicinitiative at nonviolent-conflict.org
Forward this email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=67t94scab&m=1102296469405&ea=mackinnon%40newamerica.net&a=1122188390214>
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=0010JjuyaU9oEYjUrwiKBYylw%3D%3D&ch=19d911a0-3532-11e3-9c6d-d4ae527536d1&ca=58388b18-2e42-49be-8e25-88ff07e0c721>

This email was sent to mackinnon at newamerica.net by
academicinitiative at nonviolent-conflict.org |
Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=0010JjuyaU9oEYjUrwiKBYylw%3D%3D&ch=19d911a0-3532-11e3-9c6d-d4ae527536d1&ca=58388b18-2e42-49be-8e25-88ff07e0c721>
| Rapid removal with SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=0010JjuyaU9oEYjUrwiKBYylw%3D%3D&ch=19d911a0-3532-11e3-9c6d-d4ae527536d1&ca=58388b18-2e42-49be-8e25-88ff07e0c721>™
| About our service provider
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_OFR_004>

ICNC | P.O. Box 18218 | Washington | DC | 20036

--

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*