[bestbits] Call for research fellows - Recife, Northeast Brazil

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 19:19:14 EST 2015

Hello

Although this call for research is not specific to internet governance,
this is a main theme of investigation in many of the universities in the
region, the same that hosted IGF2015.
Do count on the Brazilian Internet School of Governance graduates Egi.br
for any help w/ the Portuguese if needed

---

http://ciel.network/call-for-fellows-platforms-for-the-future

 Call for Fellows - Platforms for the Future
Por CESAR.EDU.BR em 23 de Novembro de 2015 | 15:35

CIEL.network's fellows program hopes to bring together a diverse group of
people with different types of expertise and knowledge to the area of PORTO
DIGITAL, in RECIFE, Brazil, one of the top brazilian metro regions and one
of the country's main technology and educational hubs. We are looking for
scientists, intellectuals, entrepreneurs, geeks, innovative thinkers,
change makers, and creative people that want to understand what is going on
at a technology network, contribute to its development, learn, teach and
try to multiply their experiments with us back home.

CIEL.network's fellows program aims to bring people to an established,
innovative and developing environment, trying to put together both
community and individual initiatives. Fellows will be expected to
participate in general weekly activities, such as seminars and discussion
groups and encouraged to work in their own projects in collaboration with
at least two CIEL institutions and, if possible, with other fellows and
members of the staff of institutions of the CIEL.network.

The fellowship program ranges from a short-term option of three months to a
long-term of one year and can be extended at the end of these terms
depending on the results from the project the fellow is working on. In the
first year we welcome TEN FELLOWS in part- or full-time activities.

Prospective fellows are encouraged to think out of the box, system,
theories and environments to imagine a project or set of activities to be
executed during the program term. We are open to a wide range of areas,
favoring cross and interdisciplinary proposals, that could possibly tackle
big challenges and opportunities in domains that can be represented by
questions like...

    How can we foster new and more effective linkages among Creativity,
Innovation and Entrepreneurship, especially when Academia, Industry and
Investment are involved?

    How can we do large scale transformations -in society, economies,
systems, firms...- through innovative design techniques and methods?

    How can we process Complex/Large Scale Data Sets and Flows and use the
results to really transform the daily life of people... and for the better?

    How can we design revolutionary applications in the creative economy
-which are they?...- using the new digital media?

    How to make everything smarter (from things to cities), for people and
society?

    How to improve the foundations of the Internet of Things and use them
[together with a lot of other "things"] to create radically innovative
applications?

    How to make robots really useful outside industrial applications and
demos? At home, for example?

    How to make "design" (in the sense of innovation) a vector for the
transformation of society?

    How to fill the educational gap of underprivileged populations in a
scalable way, feaseble, short term way? Is it possible? At what cost? With
which means?

    How to use digital technologies as means of expression to make a
quantum leap in the educational system?

    How do we break the mold of the mainstream models of innovation and
improve the success rate of the Clusters, Technological Parks, Local
Innovation Systems, all over the world?

    How will we [re]build cities where life can be lived in a much more
smart and sustainable way and what is the role of digital technologies in
doing so?

Applicants' Qualifications

We decided not have a pre-defined set of requirements for applications. We
want to encourage interesting people with diverse background and life
paths, not necessarily from academia, to apply, without disencouraging
smart, hard working PhD holders, specially young ones, to come and be with
us for a period. And people in all stages of the career, from clever
interns to energetic retirees are welcomed.

In summary, we look for interesting people interested in being part of a
developing ecosystem of innovation, the one at PORTO DIGITAL.

Resources available to the fellows

CIEL.network will not offer grants and subsidies for now; fellows, apart
from the environment and network to work in and with, will be given a
letter of acceptance from one of our institutions, and a package that
includes office space and all related infrastructure, creative people to
work with, great problems to solve and innovate upon.

Fellows are encouraged to obtain funding through other means, outside
grants, from their home institution, or other forms of scholarship. In case
of accepted applicants that need a Brazilian visa, we will help the fellow
to deal with the Brazilian immigration papers and processes.

Application

In order to apply to be a CIEL.network fellow, please send, to
fabio.campos at cesar.edu.br, at least the following:

    An up to date Curriculum Vitae, including a list of recent results,
with a one page abstract.

    A personal statement of your motivation to be in RECIFE and at
CIEL.network.

    A plan of activities to conduct during the fellowship, its objectives
and expected results.

    A plan of at least 5 seminars you will give while staying with
CIEL.network and...

    How do you plan to disseminate what you will do while with us.

Deadlines and Results

We are working with the following initial deadlines...

    Submission: 30th January 2016
    Notification of acceptance: 29th February 2016
    Fellowship staring at April/Mai 2016

    Submission: 30th Mai 2016
    Notification of acceptance: 30th June 2016
    Fellowship staring at August/September 2016

    Submission: 30th September 2016
    Notification of acceptance: 30th October 2016
    Fellowship staring at January/February 2017

but the begin/end dates for your stay with us can be discussed at a case to
case basis.