[bestbits] Update on latest IGF MAG mtg.

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon May 25 15:48:00 EDT 2015

(The following is an edited copy of a message I sent to another list. It
was suggested that it be forwarded here too. )

Hi,

... the issue with main sessions is still open and a touch confusing.
After spending a day and half finding our way to a list of workshops we
started on the Main session plan.  A quick explanation on how we got to
the list of workshops while I am at it.

- the top ranked 60 were automatically in.
- the next 10 were in unless someone had a reason for them not being
in.  I think in the end they may have all ended up in, though I am not
positive about 1 of them.  Will need to check notes and final lists to
be sure.
- for the next 30, it was a balancing process.  Based on the various
proportions, e.g. previous organizer : new organizer,  or developed
nation : developing, same old panel : other format, same old topic : new
topic, stakeholder group : other stakeholder groups, &c. MAG members had
to champion a session on the balancing perspective ( a blanket
acceptance of all sessions being good sessions was made the chair)
for it to be considered further.  We then went through them in a
detailed sort of way trying to balance.  It took 2 passes through a list
of nominated sessions to come to the 100 selected.  The rest of workshop
sessions are filled by open fora, dynamic coalitions (DC), best practice
fora (BPF), and the intersessional work.

We also spent a fair amount of time of micromanaging, deciding whether
someone needed 90 minutes, 60 minutes or a flash.  ...

(re, when the final list will be posted, don't know for sure but expect
soon. Secretariat has a lot of work to do in notifications)

Re the intersessional work,

This is being worked in response to CSTD recommendations on IGF
Improvements, there is a an open team of MAG members and others working
on this effort (I am one of the coordinators, but have been a passive
one).  It was slow to get going.  At this point the call is
coming out in the next day or so.  Basically using the working group
(WG) concept that is borrowed from many institutions and has been
modified for BPF, we will first

●      Launch public call for background contributions on the theme of
“/Policy Options for Connecting the Next Billion/”. Contributions will
be gathered and ultimately incorporated in the output through an
iterative process.

&c.

The call should be out shortly.
There was a lunch conversation on the draft.
(Latest draft can be found at:
<http://intgovforum.org/pipermail/intersessional_2015_intgovforum.org/2015-May/000094.html>)

Re The origin of the main session schedule

In terms of main sessions, a self selected ad-hoc subgroup had met
during lunch on day 2 and set up a schedule that includes a half day on
IGF @ 10  and a full day dedicated to WSIS+10 (3 main session slots).
Therefore , when considering pre-session, starting and closing ceremony
(3 full session) left, 2 full sessions (4 hemisessions) were left for
substantive issues.

It seems we were going to invite the President of the General Assembly
(PGA) and needed to dedicate that much time to WSIS   If the PGA rejects
the idea, then we will get 1 thematic session back.

Re WSIS session:

Part of what is playing out was act 3 in the WSIS Continuation stage.
Starting in CSTD (which I did not attend), continuing through the 2
weeks of ITU Council (which I did attend) and coming into IGF was
a bit successful but mostly not.  ITU wanted to organize a
multistakeholder consultation on WSIS but was not allowed to by the
members states.  So now IGF was being used by those who want a
consultation on the future of WSIS.  Last stop before NYC.   And the
largest most diverse of group of participants is to be found in IGF 2015.
So if the PGA, it will be Denmark I believe,  is willing to come to the
IGF for consultations, there will be a full day of consultations in Brazil.

Re IGF @ 10

Since the UNGA is going to decide on IGF's continuing fate this year,
that seemed necessary to most all of us thought it a reasonable bit of
scheduling.  Some think it should have more time.

Re the  remaining 2 main session slots,  we were given a list and each
given a chance to argue to 2 topics on the list.  I am not sure I
remember the whole list, but it included

- net neutrality
- internet economy
- human rights
- IANA stuff
- cybersecurity
- ... (couple more i did not write them down, perhaps another
participant on this list has the full list)

In any case there was a supported recommendation that those sitting in
the room should not be deciding this on our own and that we should poll
the community.   In the end the chair decided those of us in the MAG
that championed a particular theme should work on a brief description
and we should put them out  for discussion.

I may think of more, but this is it for pre-breakfast mind-dump on a
holiday morning of a day when I have a paper to finish a draft of.
Happy to answer questions if I can.

avri

----

Funding disclosure specifically for BB: This trip to GVA for ITU Council
was paid for by a combination of my air miles and shared support from 3
Civil Society advocacy groups to whom I give updates and reports on ITU
activities concerning ITU CWG WSIS and ITU CWG IPP. I piggybacked the
MAG meeting on the ITU trip.  I participated in the ITU Council
activities as a member of the US delegation. I participate in the MAG
meeting as a first year appointee suggested by civil society
coordination group. My ITU time is not paid for. I do not get support
for participating in the MAG.

---