[bestbits] [governance] Call for Participation: Global Congress on Intellectual Property and the Public Interest, 2015

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 24 02:58:26 EDT 2015

On Sunday 24 May 2015 12:07 AM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:

> Parminder, to be honest, this dialogue to me exemplifies the problems
> with the dialogue here.

Please do clearly state what your problems are bec I do not fully
understand them, other than that you do not want a discussion of how too
much and inappropriate corporatist infusions into civil society spaces
constraint development of the needed public interest position that is
civil society's primary purpose to do and advocate... Now if that is the
crux of your problem, which the current discussion in the BB list has
been about, and which you decried, I dont see much credibility in a
senior rep of tech industry making such a statement. it is kind of so
obvious that it is meaningless.

> You've known me for many years

That has no relevance here.... I would have been making the same comment
if my brother was involved in this business.

> and the positions I routinely take.

That too has no relevance, although I can begin speaking about your
positions which I wont. In the same way, excuse the analogy, if a
dictator says, well, see my policies are good, why are you asking for
democracy, it would not hold ground when people are seeking a political
structural change ... The main burden of my current interventions has
been that 'content' cannot be seen in isolation of 'structure'. Your
statements in fact give a very good example of what I was trying to
argue in my previous emails.

> We have had this conversation before, I won't burden this list with a
> rerun. I won't be replying further on this subject.

I can understand that. So I take it that when you answered 'yes. I am a
civil society person' it was in fact an untrue assertion. You are a
senior rep of a business association. And you cannot be both. We of the
civil society do not accept it.

And if your new organisation IDEA is proposing to be a civil society
organisation, let it disclose its primary aims, and funding, and whether
it would accept a lobbying assignment from any corporate or industry
body. The question is specific, so please try a specific response.
Transparency and accountability are essential facets of democratic
public life, even more so for civil society, which has to be an
exemplar. I as a civil society activist will only have it like that, and
push it with all the strength I have. Dont expect me to be deterred just
because an industry group or its reps want me to shut up and let
corporates lead the civil society discourse by the nose. No, I wouldnt
have it.

> Life's too short.

Not to be upfront, transparent and honest! That is what civil society
has to be about.

parminder