[bestbits] [governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Benedek, Wolfgang (wolfgang.benedek@uni-graz.at) wolfgang.benedek at uni-graz.at
Mon Mar 9 07:12:42 EDT 2015

Dear Nobert,

on the issue of democracy in international instruments like the UDHR and
the ICCPR, it should be noted that democracy is neither used in Article 21
of the Universal Declaration nor in Article 25 of the ICCPR, which speak
of participation in government of one's country, periodic elections etc
The limitation clause in Article 29 UDHR states that rights can be
restricted for the sake of the general welfare in a democratic society. As
the UDHR is not a binding convention there is no authoritative
interpretation of this phrase by an international human rights body to my
knowledge.

However, in the context of the European Convention on Human Rights, the
European Court of Human Rights regularly requires a "pressing social need"
for restrictions which are possible based on the similar limitation clause
"necessary in a democratic society". More and examples in my book with
Matthias Kettemann on Freedom of Expression and the Internet, Council of
Europe 2014.

Wolfgang Benedek