[bestbits] [governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Mar 9 06:54:38 EDT 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 16:16:17 +0800
David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> wrote:

> Jeremy claims that if the inclusion of
> the term in descriptions of mutti-stakeholder bodies means anything
> concrete, it means retaining a special role for government (in,
> presumably, all situations, not just those areas like law enforcement
> that governments have a special role intrinsically by law). JNC
> denies that interpretation - so please, what IS your interpretation
> of what the term democratic in the context you discuss would mean.

I hereby assure you that JNC has every intention of publishing a
position paper which will address this in some depth. I will post about
this when it is available.

In the meantime, you and/or others might be interested in reflecting on
what is the precise meaning of the word "democratic" in the context of
the very interesting way in which this word is used in Article 29 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Greetings,
Norbert
co-convenor, Just Net Coalition (JNC)