[bestbits] [governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 8 06:16:41 EDT 2015

And of course, the main question still is: what is your Internet-related
global public policy decision making model? (Or do you have a case that
Internet related global policy making is not needed, or that it is
happening quite fine?)

If you are just ready to say - no, corporates do not have the same role
as governments, and cannot claim to participate as equals or on an equal
footing,  in Internet-related global policy decision making -  that is
enough. We can all agree, and all these ongoing contentions be put
behind us, and we can work as one. Is this that difficult? Why do people
choke on making this simple assertion, which would clearly follow from
simple democratic principles and ideals.

Is this not a simple way to remove the deep contestations that are
evident here, which so many find so unsightly?

Meanwhile, if others have any simple assertion (or a set of them) that
they want to know if JNC agrees to or not, we promise to come back
immediately on that.

Isnt it better to clearly bring out the actual and specific points of
differences, and see if these can be closed, rather than long email
exchanges where one can be presenting mother and apple pie assertions,
and feel quite good about it. Lets do real political talk here, and seek
closing differences, and if we cant, at least know what the precise
differences are. If we can commit ourself to this concise methodology,
we will be making progress.

parminder