[bestbits] Internet rights @ HRC29

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Jun 16 11:04:04 EDT 2015

Thanks for this, the agenda does seem packed!  I wanted to draw to your
attention, an important proceeding that is taking place at ICANN, and is
an important Internet governance issue.  A working group on the
accreditation of privacy proxy services, which many endangered groups
and political/social dissidents use to protect their identities from
disclosure on WHOIS, has been meeting for a year and a half.  The report
is up for comments until July 7.  The civil society groups who have been
actively trying to protect these services from any requirements that
would price them out of existence, or make many organizations ineligible
to use them, would appreciate the support of human rights groups
everywhere.  There are two easy ways to do this:

*Briefing Paper*

The first is a briefing paper prepared by 3 members of the
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group,  to give an overview of some of the
issues and concerns that we feel are still present and need some further
work. You can find our briefing attached and we welcome and feedback,
suggestions or comments.

*Savedomainprivacy.org*

A website has also been setup by a number of other stakeholders in this
process at www.savedomainprivacy.org <http://www.savedomainprivacy.org>.
Members of the public and interested parties can sign onto a petition to
protect the ability of registrants to keep their personal information
private.

I would urge everyone to have a look at both pieces of info and please
feel free to contact me or any of the other authors if you or your
organization want further information or to help you submit your own
comments during the Public Comments period which will be ending on July
7^th 2015.