[bestbits] [governance] US gets frank on its vision for the Internet

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Feb 17 03:45:59 EST 2015

At 08:57 17/02/2015, Guru wrote:
>>US don't want the ITU to take over the
>>Internet, but then US make rules trough trade
>>with countries that have less bargain power and need access on commoditiesÂ
>>It is a joke
>
>The ITU is a convenient bogey raised by USG
>(supported by US based transnationals and some
>'civil society' members') to prevent other
>countries from having any role in IG
>democratisation. Accepting that ITU need not be
>the institution to 'take over the Internet'
>(bogey statement), the USG game needs to be
>firmly resisted.  And global CS needs to firmly
>be with such resistance (read WEF v/s WSF)

I am afraid you are confusing the internet and
the catenet. Keeping with the maritime metaphor,
the catenet is the sea and the internet is the
interactive shipping mostly used for
distribution. Other kinds of more adequate
specialized shippings are under development. This
confusion between "smart hardware" we
collectively own, and multiple networking
software+operations add-ons (such as the
internet) is the first source of confusion. The
second main source of confusion is that we are
neither interested in hardware nor software, but
in brainware intercomprehension/knowledge.

There are three levels is the USG game :

- the correct metaphor of digital lanes.
- the whish to impose an advantageous rule for
that game (multistakeholderism, v.s. omnistakeholderism)
- the regular national policy to develop a national interest strategy.

jfc