[bestbits] Taking place next week: Asian Regional Consultation on the WSIS+10 Review - remote participation available

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 31 09:17:24 EDT 2015

Dear organisers of the *Asian Regional Consultation on the WIS+10 Review,

*With your permission I have some questions to ask you. I know this is a
treacherous territory, given an extra ordinary (and completely
inappropriate) sensitivity to being asked questions by some groups, but
my apologies, I cannot but ask them in pursuance of my public interest
work, however distasteful it may be even for me to get into this thing....

This is being called a 'consultation' and further an 'Asian Regional'
consultation, on what is a global governance process, and so some
questions arise in my mind:

(1) who is funding this 'consultation'

(2) on what criteria participants were determined, and invitations sent,
and by whom - were all concerned people invited (that, in my view, would
be a consultation)

(3) On what criteria funding for participation was provided, and by
whom, and who decided it..

Thanks for answering these public interest questions...

I may declare that my interest got evoked from the knowledge that no
member of the Just Net Coalition has been invited... IT for Change is
among very few groups in Asia Pacific which has been engaged with the
WSIS process from the start, and very thoroughly engaged. Further, there
is in fact an Asia Pacific Regional CSO Engagement Mechanism
<http://www.asiapacificrcem.org/>, which describes itself as

    "APRCEM is a civil society platform aimed to enable stronger
    cross constituency coordination and ensure that voices of all
    sub-regions of Asia Pacific are heard in intergovernmental processes
    in regional and global level. The platform is initiated, owned and
    driven by the CSOs, and has been set up under the auspices of
    UN-ESCAP and seeks to engage with UN agencies and Member States on
    the Post-2015 as well as other development related issues/processes. "

In fact the APRCEM also has an Science and Technology Constituency which
works as an active network (of which IT for Change is a member) which
has begun to work closely with the Just Net Coalition (many JNC members
also being its members) and the Internet Social Forum initiatives, which
shows its interest in Internet issues... As far as I know no member of
this network, or the network as a whole, has been involved in this
so-called "Asia Regional Consultation' which being on a UN process this
group would be natural constituency... All of which makes me wonder, and
so my questions..

parminder