[bestbits] [governance] Call for making the IGF permanent

Anne Jellema anne at webfoundation.org
Tue Sep 2 12:56:01 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> it is about institutionalising something that is supposed to crystallise
> the spirit (variously interpreted) of Net Mundial, as a/ the key global IG
> process.

Parminder, I'm not sure this is right ... it's very hard to read the tea
leaves, but after listening to everything that was said in Geneva, I
honestly don't think that WEF has much appetite to become or convene a
norm-setting institution on IG with all of the (time-consuming, tiresome -
from WEF's perspective) negotiation, consensus-building that evidently
entails. I think the aim is to parachute quickly in with "action
partnerships" that they hope will *indirectly* build developing country
support for the multi-stakeholder approach.

But in any case, I think I'm in agreement with you that the WEF initiative
should not be allowed to appropriate any special status or aspirations in
the IG realm - least of all by civil society.

Best
Anne

--
Anne Jellema
CEO

*World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC,
20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
Twitter: @webfoundation*