[bestbits] [governance] Call for making the IGF permanent

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Sep 2 10:52:40 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 02 September 2014 02:19 PM, Anne Jellema wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>     please note that no one has proposed the World Social Forum to
>     hold the global IG process together, as the WEF is being proposed
>

> Quoting from our post-NMI blog:
>
> More broadly, the views of the World Social Forum
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Social_Forum> (like the
> NETmundial summit, another initiative memorably nurtured by the
> government of Brazil) are just as vital as those of the World Economic
> Forum, and likely to be diametrically opposed on some issues — isn’t
> that what ‘multi-stakeholderism’ means?

Yes, Anne, I read the blog, but reserved my comments for later...

Just on the point above, I have nothing against taking 'the views of
WEF' as you ask for doing for WSF above... Of course everyone should
contribute views. However, we all know that WEF's NMI is not about
contributing WEF's views, it is about institutionalising something that
is supposed to crystallise the spirit (variously interpreted) of Net
Mundial, as a/ the key global IG process.  I meant in that sense "to
hold the global IG process together". And of course your blog does not
suggest such a role for the World Social Forum. It is a bit of an
exclusive role in that sense,  I think we need to avoid confusion
between (1) something being just another global IG initiative and (2)
the kind of special aspirations that the WEF's NM initiative has. Of
course as just another initiative no one can have any problem with it.
In fact that is what I said clearly in my first posting on the WEF's NM
Initiative on the IGC list.

parminder